Nick,

> Also when i query the modem it seems to make contact but the query results
> window is completely empty.
>
> It's an internal laptop modem.
>
> Does this all mean that I've got a Winmodem that's not going to work with
> Linux?

I am very new to this - maybe more than you, but I have a winmodem, a lucent
modem now running on Mandrake 8.1 on my Dell i8100.  The person who set it up
for me has the modem call a scrip I think.

If you have similar modem  & If someone tells me how to do it I'll send it to
you :)  I am still at the point where I can hardly move around in KDE... in
fact this is my first email from linux ever!

Walter

~~~