On Tuesday 12 March 2002 11:00, john rigby wrote:
> WITHOUT RESORTING TO ARCANE COMMAND LINE
> APPROACHES.

How things have changed. I remember, back in 1991 or 1992, teaching
our secretary how to use a computer.  Typing was no problem, it was
the mouse that freaked her out  - I had to put her hand on the mouse
then put my hand on hers and move it around (it looked pretty
incriminating!).

Whether the GUI or the command line is easier depends on (a) what
you're used to and (b) what exactly you're trying to do.  If you want
to open a program, clicking on an icon is easier.  If you want to
find out the status of files in a directory, typing "ll" is easier.
There's nothing inherently arcane about either of them.

Robin

--
"Give me the views, and I'll give you the arguments." - Chrysippus

Robin Turner
IDMYO, Bilkent Universitesi
Ankara 06533
Turkey