Hi Robin,

No wonder she freaked out!
The actual inventor at PARC said only a couple of years ago that it was
insane to have incorporated that device for the purpose.

Actually, "what you are used to" has no relevance in the first approach to
computers.  There is no usable "referential experience"......... except
intelligence and that is pretty useless where using tinboxes and programs
are concerned for the most part.

The Managing Director of Osborne Computers told me ( before many of our
correspondents here were born, much less working)
that my "invention" of the "menu" was going to make it possible for *anyone*
to accept and use the microcomputer.
I "wrote" it in ASCII and created batch files.
It made the Microcomputer accessible/usable for my staff. It was
intelligence-oriented.
Some actions involved up to thirty letters in input. But not for the staff.
This is what it looked like from memory:

 +------------------------------------+
1. Write a Letter
2. Add to Accounts
3. Telephone connect
4.  HOW TO HELP
5. Save work to Floppy Disk

9. DANGER: Out to DOS

The "Menus" simply cascaded never with more than 5 options.

Easy?
Even today, we still don't need pretty pikkies and animations - although the
kids that "design" frontends love them - it replaces their cartoon
lunchboxes......  :-)
All we REALLY need are ...... simple English Menus.

Cheers,

John