In general, Linux requires two partitions: one for / and one for swap.
I've heard that if you have enough RAM you can do without a swap, but I
don't know if that's true.  Anyone ever done that?  Further, most people
install with 3 or more partitions.  Mine right now has /, swap, /usr and
/home all on their own partitions.

PartitionMagic 7.0 is a wonderful thing.  You can add, delete and resize
partitions without losing data.  It's incredibly slow and inefficient,
though, (mine took 8.5 hours to repartition a 40 gig drive that was about
75% full) so beware.  But in the end, it worked and it worked flawlessly,
with no data loss or any problems.

--jim

On Mon, 27 May 2002, Dwight Hines wrote:

> I've just subscribed and will only be able to work on the linux on my
> powerbook G3 firewire after hours and on weekends.  I have not yet installed
> or obtained the software.  My plan is to read the digests for a while and
> then when I have some time go for the installation.
>
> First question: I have a 6 gig disk internal and it is already partitioned.
> Can I just clean one of those partitions and install linux on it so it is
> not necessary to blow away the whole disk and all my wonderful contents?
>
> Thank you in advance,
> dh

~
Love her as I loved her, and there will be joy.    ~ King Humperdink