On Thu, 2002-05-30 at 07:44, FemmeFatale wrote:
> Tom Brinkman wrote:
> >
> > On Wednesday 29 May 2002 11:13 am, Dave Conroy wrote:
>
> >     It's only a matter of time before lot'sa people will need to
> > unlearn Windows, and learn somethin else.  Specially with M$'s new
> > fangled SA programs (price gouging scams), and the horrific security
> > holes that all M$ OS's and software feature.
> > --
> >     Tom Brinkman                    Corpus Christi, Texas
> >

> a) won't happen soon enough
>
> b) won't happen.
>
> Why? Because linux will never be a desktop OS for the masses IMO.
> Requires too much tech knowledge and most just want their machine to
> work.  Shrugs, My opinion.  I know its come a long way but its still got
> a longer way to go yet.
> --
> Femme

I agree if you are talking DIY installs, but having just set up my 83
year old father-in-law on 8.2, I don't agree on the usability side.
Anyone who doesn't know "about computers" either has a friend who
installs it, or buys the machine with the OS (W$) preinstalled.  Ask the
average user to install W$ from scratch and the gotchas would come just
as fast as they do with Mandrake.

So this is the real difference from my viewpoint.  The guy next door
knows about W$, but not about linux.  Given someone like me to set it up
and provide an icon for each thing you want to do, Mandrake is not a
problem for the novice.

It's a telling point that having changed the 83 year old over to linux
from W98, the number of "support" calls I have received is so far zero -
used to average several per week.

Brian