> In general, Linux requires two partitions: one for / and one for swap.
> I've heard that if you have enough RAM you can do without a swap, but I
> don't know if that's true.  Anyone ever done that?  Further, most people
> install with 3 or more partitions.  Mine right now has /, swap, /usr and
> /home all on their own partitions.
With my present partition scheme, I could set up three partitions for linux
and still have one left for OS9.2.2 and a spare.  But, how much space does
/, swap, and /usr require each?

> PartitionMagic 7.0 is a wonderful thing.  You can add, delete and resize
> partitions without losing data.  It's incredibly slow and inefficient,
> though, (mine took 8.5 hours to repartition a 40 gig drive that was about
> 75% full) so beware.  But in the end, it worked and it worked flawlessly,
> with no data loss or any problems.
I don't think speed is a concern, it could go overnight for me.  But, in the
partitioning is there a difference in how the file structures are set up so
the actual separation into different disks is only a part of what needs to
be done?