On Wed, 29 May 2002, Anne Wilson wrote:

> Sorry that I sent this to your address, instead of the list - I forgot
> to change the 'Reply to' address.
>

> Derek,
>
> I have been thinking hard and reading all I can, and I wonder if
> the problems are a lot deeper rooted.  For instance:
>
> What I'm trying to achieve is that the filesharing and ICS should be
> transparent to the kids - they shouldn't need to know which OS I'm running.
>
> Currently, we run a MS peer-to-peer network, with my W2K box acting as
> gateway.  I have read that it is notoriously difficult to set up Samba
> if NETBUI is installed (which it is on the W98 m/cs), and one should get
> rid of it if at all possible.
>
> Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be possible, as without it the W2K
> machines and the W98 machines cannot see each other.
>
> TCP/IP is on all m/cs, and is properly set up, as the W98 m/cs connect
> to the Internet from my W2K m/c over TCP/IP.
>
> I wonder, too about m/c names.  Under the peer-to-peer setup, no name
> server is required.  I don't see how a hosts list can be set up when two
> m/cs have static IP addresses and the other two have dynamic (provided
> by my m/c).  We haven't used either DNS or WINS.  This sets me to
> thinking about host names on Mdk - I haven't set this up, I think, and I
> guess I need it?  How can Samba recognise and authenticate a m/c without
> DNS?  And how could I set up DNS with m/cs that don't have a static IP
> address?
>
> I have a feeling that there are lots of things like this that I will
> have to set up.  I forgot that this will not be peer-to-peer, but in
> fact I will be using this m/c as a server - and I didn't specify that at
> installation.  Yet I was offered the ICS option?
>
> Just thinking aloud, but would welcome your comments.
>
> Anne
>
> PS I just got your smb.conf file, and I'll check it out.  Again, pinging
> is a problem, as I don't have a static address.  I think this is
> possibly the root of the problem and I don't know what to do about it.

Hi Anne,

I've been loosely following this and I'm curious why you haven't tried
setting up a Mandrake box to do the gateway/firewall/file serving duties
for the other machines on your LAN. That is how many of us here are doing
it. I had many of the same questions you're asking when I first started
home-networking, and realized quickly that not only did I "not" want a p2p
network, but that I couldn't see how windows was going to talk to Mandrake
with out something like Samba. thus began the journey.

It took about a month to get everything squared away, but once it was all
setup and working it was well worth the effort. I should mention that
there are many here now that helped me a lot to get things up and working.
couldn't have done it without them.

At present I've got a Mandrake 8.2 machine takin care of the server
duties. (all of them - the poor bugger is working very hard!) in addition
I've got a mandrake workstation connecting to this LAN, one XP
workstation, and one Win98 workstation. it all works very nicely. O, and
this includes printing as well. that was a real PITA, but I was able to
get it working.

Mark