On Tuesday 28 May 2002 5:40 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Derek Jennings wrote:
> > On Monday 27 May 2002 4:58 pm, you wrote:
> >
> > Have you used webmin to make sure Micky is a 'normal' user and the
> > password is set to the same as the Linux password?
> > (Of course it is case sensitive)
>
> Yes - I checked, and I have re-entered a 'new' password, just to make sure.
>
> > IPC$  is part of the Samba service. Not sure what it actually does, but
> > it is not a valid share. It looks like you have not actually got any
> > shares defined. Or if you do they are not browsable and so Network
> > Neighbourhood cannot see them.
>
> This seems to be what is happening, and I can't see why.  Here are
> settings from Webmin:
>
> Share Name    Path                    Security
> homes
>       All Home Directories    Read/write to all known users
> Anne_Public
> /mnt/win_d2/Public
> Read/write to all known users
> ---
> Home Directories Share
> Available Yes         Browseable Yes
> Share Comment Home Directories
> ---
> Share name    Anne_Public
> Directory to share    /mnt/win_d2/Public
> Available Yes         Browseable Yes
> Share Comments        Anne_Public
> ---
> Edit Security for share Anne_Public
> Writable
> Yes
> Guest Access  None
> Guest Unix user       nobody
> Limit to possible list        No
> Hosts to allow        All
> Hosts to deny None
> Revalidate users  No
> Valid users   Andy Micky ...  (I have now added them into the Possible Users
> list) Read/write users        Andy Micky ...
>
> For luck I added      Possible Groups         users
> and                   Read/write Groups       users
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Anne

Hmm... Looks OK just like mine...
Here is my /etc/samba/smb.conf file for you to compare.

I know you said you have no firewall installed, but are you running one on
your Windows computer? With Zone Alarm for example you have to put the Linux
computer in the 'trusted' zone before you can network to it.  Try 'pinging'
from each computer to the other.

HTH

derek

#======================= Global Settings =====================================
[global]
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        printing = cups
        dns proxy = no
        security = user
        encrypt passwords = yes
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        server string = Samba Server %v
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        load printers = yes
        max log size = 50

[homes]
        writable = yes
        comment = Home Directories

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
# to allow user 'guest account' to print.
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   printable = yes
   create mode = 0700
# =====================================
# print command: see above for details.
   print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r   # using client side printer
drivers.

[print$]
   path = /var/lib/samba/printers
   browseable = yes