Sorry that I sent this to your address, instead of the list - I forgot
to change the 'Reply to' address.

Derek,

I have been thinking hard and reading all I can, and I wonder if
the problems are a lot deeper rooted.  For instance:

What I'm trying to achieve is that the filesharing and ICS should be
transparent to the kids - they shouldn't need to know which OS I'm running.

Currently, we run a MS peer-to-peer network, with my W2K box acting as
gateway.  I have read that it is notoriously difficult to set up Samba
if NETBUI is installed (which it is on the W98 m/cs), and one should get
rid of it if at all possible.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be possible, as without it the W2K
machines and the W98 machines cannot see each other.

TCP/IP is on all m/cs, and is properly set up, as the W98 m/cs connect
to the Internet from my W2K m/c over TCP/IP.

I wonder, too about m/c names.  Under the peer-to-peer setup, no name
server is required.  I don't see how a hosts list can be set up when two
m/cs have static IP addresses and the other two have dynamic (provided
by my m/c).  We haven't used either DNS or WINS.  This sets me to
thinking about host names on Mdk - I haven't set this up, I think, and I
guess I need it?  How can Samba recognise and authenticate a m/c without
DNS?  And how could I set up DNS with m/cs that don't have a static IP
address?

I have a feeling that there are lots of things like this that I will
have to set up.  I forgot that this will not be peer-to-peer, but in
fact I will be using this m/c as a server - and I didn't specify that at
installation.  Yet I was offered the ICS option?

Just thinking aloud, but would welcome your comments.

Anne

PS I just got your smb.conf file, and I'll check it out.  Again, pinging
is a problem, as I don't have a static address.  I think this is
possibly the root of the problem and I don't know what to do about it.