Derek Jennings wrote:

 > You are best off however just defining
 > your Linux computer to use DHCP and let your Win2k machine serve an IP
 > address to it. You should also define the win2k machine to be the
'default
 > gateway' for the Linux computer, and set your ISP's DNS server
addresses so
 > that the Linux computer can resolve names on the Internet.

W2K and Mdk are on separate partitions on this one machine, so only one
at a time is running.  I intend having a separate box when I can get to
it, as I told daRc.

 > You did not select Internet Connection Sharing did you?
 > You select that if the Linux machine is the gateway. You are using
Win2k as
 > the gateway aren't you?

Yes, I did.  W2K is the gate way when running, and Mdk is to be the
gateway otherwise.

>>Currently, we run a MS peer-to-peer network, with my W2K box acting as
>>gateway.  I have read that it is notoriously difficult to set up Samba
>>if NETBUI is installed (which it is on the W98 m/cs), and one should get
>>rid of it if at all possible.
>>

> True: Samba does not work over NETBEUI  The Windows computers must have the
> TCP stack installed, and there should be a binding between TCP/IP and 'Client
> for Microsoft Networks' service  in the Windows Network Control Panel. It
> does not matter if you remove Netbeui or not.(Right click on the TCP/IP
> protocol in the Windows Networking control panel, and select
> 'Properties>Bindings')

This was set, but perhaps our old problem stemmed from the fact that
NETBEUI had the same binding.  I have removed Netbeui and confirmed that
as long as W2K is up the W98 PCs can ping each other and me and share files.

> BTW: Did you see this
> http://www.mandrakeforum.org/article.php?sid=2169&lang=en

I'll look at that this evening, thanks.

> It should help you access Windows shares from Linux which is a lot easier
> than the other way round. Note komba2 is recommended.
>
> derek

Ping - the situation is complicated, when Mdk is running.  Under W2K serving ping is
OK and reasonable speed.  Under Mdk, however -

>From W98 m/cs - ping by number is fast and returns 1 ms round trip.
Ping by name gives similar statistics, but there is a delay of 1 3/4 minutes before
anything appears on screen!

>From my m/c, ping by number is no problem.  Ping by name does not work at all -
>'unknown host Andy'.

Does this suggest anything?