On Thursday 06 June 2002 06:59 am, John Richard Smith wrote:
> On Thursday 06 June 2002 03:38, you wrote:
> > > I've lost the thread about changing my compiler version, which
> > > one do I have to have.
> > > John
> > > John Richard Smith
> >
> > well, you can use any, but if you use Mandrake's default you will
> > have to use an extra parameter no make the ./configure not check
> > it.
> >
> > anyhow, they recommend 2.95, or any version 3.0.1 and above.
> >
> > your Mandrake CD's include a gcc version ( not installed by default
> > ) that works fine. i think it's 3.0.4 or something.
> >

> > HTH
> >
> > Damian
>
> Well, I seem to have,
> gcc-cpp v2.96-0.76mdk
> gcc v2.96-0.76mdk
> gcc3.0 v3.0.4-2mdk (gnu compiler)
> gcc3.0-cpp v3.04-2mdk
> so any of these should be OK ?
> It doesn't seem to matter then  that so many compiler versions are
> present at once, they don't get confused then ?
> John

Why naw, it ain't gonna get confused.  The default appears to be handled by a
link in /etc/alternatives.  Change the link to change the default compiler.
Also many configure scripts allow you to specify which compiler to use with
the switch --cc= (I think that's it, do a ./configure --help to get exact
syntax).
Shoot, just go for it and worry after you get an error (but that's just me:
untar, read README & INSTALL, then go for it!).  using --disable-gcc-checking
--enable-gui --disable-runtime-cpudetection is my usual formula, that way I
don't have to worry about it complaining or my risking the compiler by
goofing with it.

Anyway, someone should make a howto for this mplayer as there are sooo many
questions about it here and in the ngs.

-s