On Tuesday 04 June 2002 04:56 am, John Richard Smith wrote:

> You are absolutely correct, I simply applied LM8.2's own Mplayer
> version which came with the distro which is Mplayer v 0.50-3asp .
> Now this is no good you are saying?
> If so which particular version would be better and does it have to
> be tar ball versions, are there no rpm 's that are just as good ?

    Yes, tarball, as Mplayer's authors have strongly discouraged
anyone making rpm's from their source (PLF use to). The latest
(.90pre4) is at     http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu/homepage/    just
remember to compile with     ./configure --disable-gcc-checking
as the authors also have strong feelings about usin gcc-2.96,
mistakenly thinking that all 2.96 versions are RedHat's.  Best movie
program ... imature authors.

   FWIW, I've noticed that some .avi's or .mpg's I have play fine
usin the open source 'nv' driver, but fail miserably if I have the
closed source secret evil unsecureable buggy half a$$ed binary only
'nvidia' driver enabled. El cheapo Abit Gef2, but I suspect also
other cards,  YMMV ;>
--
    Tom Brinkman                    Corpus Christi, Texas