Although there is a lot of talk that the version of gcc that comes with
Mandrake works perfectly, I beg to differ. At least with mencoder and lame.
Both are needed if you are planning of encoding DivX movies.

As far as just playing films goes, yes, the --disable-gcc-checking works
fine... but it was when I started trying to encode my own that things
started going wrong. I wasn't getting sound, or was, but just hisses and
buzzes, and mencoder wasn't functioning properly. After an install of the
gcc 3.0.4 all the problems vanished and now it works perfectly ;-)

On 7 Jun 2002, John McQuillen wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-06-06 at 23:00, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> > On Wednesday 05 June 2002 06:18 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:
> > > I've lost the thread about changing my compiler version, which one
> > > do I have to have.
> > > John
> >
> >     Type 'gcc --version'  in a terminal.  That'll probly return
> > '2.96'.  When Red Hat 7.0 was released, it had a real buggy 2.96
> > version.  Mandrake's 2.96 is completely different.  So to get around
> > mplayer's authors rants about gcc 2.96, compile their source with
> >
> > ./configure --disable-gcc-checking
> > make
> > su (give root password)
> > make install
> >
> My experience with MPlayer is that it does not play avi's properly when
> compiled with gcc 2.96 (YMMV). Anyway, it can't hurt compiling with the
> developer's preferred kernel, can it?

I could not aggree more. Yes I was also stubborn, but after hours of %$#^#
around, I realised that there is no real "cheat" to this problem... just
upgrade / downgrade. They would not put such an emphasis on it if it wasn't
true.

> I compiled it using:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-gui --cc=gcc-3.0.4
> make
> su (root password)
> make install
>
> And it works beautifully.

Yeah, it sure does. It brought a whole new concept to the multimedia role
of Linux I think. Finally a descent player that supports a LOT, is fast and
very stable.

It does take a lifetime to learn and keep up with the ever changing
encoding properties, but it's woprth every minute of it =)

Greetings
Ralph

--
Homepage: http://tuxpower.f2g.net/