On Friday 07 June 2002 10:08 am, Ralph Slooten wrote:
> Although there is a lot of talk that the version of gcc that comes
> with Mandrake works perfectly, I beg to differ. At least with
> mencoder and lame. Both are needed if you are planning of encoding
> DivX movies.

   Beg all y'a want partner ;~>>
 $ which mencoder
/usr/local/bin/mencoder
 $ which lame
/usr/bin/lame

   'lame' came from 'notlame-3.91-3plf' (http://plf.zarb.org/) and
can't be published for world wide legal reasons.
           (  See also   http://www.mp3dev.org/mp3/   )
   'mencoder' was _from_ the mplayer source.  As to gcc 2.96, you're
seriously misinformed.  Google might be your friend, that or
  http://www.mandrakeforum.org/article.php?sid=642&lang=en
   Sorry if the links don't work, this is _real_ old news  ;p

> As far as just playing films goes, yes, the --disable-gcc-checking
> works fine... but it was when I started trying to encode my own
> that things started going wrong.

>After an install of the
>gcc 3.0.4 all the problems vanished and now it works perfectly ;-)

   Problems are best approached as USER, then hardware or software,
mostly USER. As Charles mentioned in this (similar thread ?), I'd
suggest only the strong of heart attempt usin anything but gcc 2.96
with current Mandrake distros (8.x). You will incur glibc and source
problems. Current (sort'a stable) gcc is 3.1.1, and your kernel and
libs (apps too) weren't made with it.  Now all y'a gotta do is wonder
what you did break believ'n mplayer author rants 'bout Red Hat's 2.96
--
    Tom Brinkman                    Corpus Christi, Texas