Hi all,

The article Sridhar cited says, "Sholes figured he had to
take the most common letter pairs such as 'TH' and make sure
their typebars hung at safe [mechanical] distances." That
is, he didn't rearrange the letters to slow people down, he
did it to lessen the mechanical problems associated with the
previous layout. But put another way, he did it for the
benefit of the machine rather than the benefit of the
typist. And that's really the bottom line.

As a seven-year Dvorak typist, let me offer my opinions up
front:

1) The Dvorak keybord is superior.
2) Qwerty typists should continue using qwerty.
3) Children should be taught Dvorak.

1) Winter 1993, Dr. Scot Ober performed a study called
"Relative Efficiencies of the Standard and Dvorak Simplified
Keyboards". The study was extensive, and here are some of
his conclusions: In QWERTY, 31% of typing is done on the
home row. In Dvorak, 70%. In addition, The Dvorak layout has
35% more right-hand reaches, 63% more same-row reaches, 45%
more alternate-hand reaches, and 37% less finger travel than
the QWERTY layout.

It offers a right-hand, left-hand, right-hand typing
pattern. There are only a few words that require one-hand
typing with the Dvorak layout. There are thousands of words
in QWERTY that require one-hand typing.

Here's my experience, aside from these things I just quoted
you: it's less work on the hands; the work is more
evenly divided between the two hands; the extra reaching
favors the right hand. It's more comfortable.

2) During my seven years, I've had only a few people ask me
if they should switch to Dvorak. I invariabley say, No. If
your typing skills ain't broke, then don't fix 'em. The
transition can be difficult, and any increase in speed will
be negligable (if it improves at all). However...

3) There is absolutely NO reason for children to learn an
inferior layout. The only reason children learn it is
because it's handed down by blind tradition. Few people
consider that there's anything better than qwerty, and if
they discover Dvorak they consider it too different, or too
much work to implement. They stick with what is comfortable,
even if it's worse. It's the SAME mentality that us Linux
advocates face day in and day out.

Ironically, "monopoly" is one of the words that must be
typed with a single hand on the qwerty keyboard.

Miark