> I'll be honest & say that *as a guess* one of two things will happen
> with your desired 512 mb's of ram:
>

> a) the comp will puke & refuse to boot.
>
> or
>
> b) the comp will boot fine, and you'll be happy.
>
> General & Vague I know but i've had some experience with 200mz
> Pentiums.  I've found in general that is the case.  In one case I had ot
> remove one of the simms (or was it a dimm?) because I knew that although
> the memory was good, the BIOS wouldn't go higher than 256Mb of Ram.  NO
> matter what I did, it just threw up & gave plaintive little beeps :(

Dear All,

The above message convinces me to consider very seriously to build my own
computer by starting with a barebones kit-mainly this one below:

Jetway 830CF Barebones w/ Duron 1Ghz. CPU $164.95 $149.95 On Sale!

***Hard Drive, Memory, Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, & Operating System Not
Included***

Jetway 830CF Barebones w/ Duron 1Ghz CPU

 This barebone come with Tower Case, Floppy Drive, Motherboard, and CPU
Only. NO Hard Drive, Memory, Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, or Operating System.

Processors Supported
- Support AMD Athlon 600MHz - XP PR2000
 - Support AMD Duron 600MHz - 1.3 GHz
 - Support 100/133 MHz CPU Bus clock
 - Support 266MHz DDR F.S.B
 - Duron 1Ghz CPU Included

Clock Generator
- Support 100/133 MHz Front Side Bus Clock (CPU Bus Clock0
 - Support 100/133 MHz system memory clock
 - Support 33MHz PCI Bus clock

Memory Support
- 168-Pin DIMM Module Socket x 2.
- Support PC100/PC133 SDRAM
 - Expandable to 1.0GB
 - Support 3.3V SDRAM module

Chipset
Sis 730S Chipset

BIOS Type
Award 2MB Flash ROM

On Board I/O
- PS/2 Keyboard and mouse connector
 - 1 x Floppy Disk Drive
- 2 x Serial Port
 - 1 x Parallel Port
 - 2 x USB connector
 - Audio connector (Line-in, Line-out, MIC and Game Port)

On Board IDE Channel
Two PCI IDE controllers support PCI Bus Mastering, ATA PIO/DMA and the ULTRA
DMA 33/66/100 modes

Expansion Slots
- AGP Slot x1
- 32-bit PCI slot x 3
 - CNR slot x 1 - Support Audio, modem only

VGA
- 3D graphic acceleration
 - VGA Memory Selectable by BIOS from 8MB to 64MB

Integrate LAN
Fast Ethernet controller 10/100 mbps

Audio
- AC'97 Digital Audio controller integrated
 - AC'97 Audio CODEC on board
 - Audio driver and utility included

Board Size
Micro ATX form factor; 24.4x21.0cm

Condition
New

Warranty
90 Days

Package Content
This barebone come with Tower Case, Floppy Drive, Motherboard, Duron 1Ghz
CPU, Cables, Motherboard Utility CD, and Owner's Manual. NO Hard Drive,
Memory, Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, or Operating System.

Surplus Computers
 1600 Duane Ave. Santa Clara, CA 95054
 Retail Store / Mail Order Phone: 408-327-0420
 Mail Order Fax: 408-327-0113

1.My question here is hard drive would go with this that is good,
inexpensive, 40 or more gigs, and works with LM 8.2?

2. Will any keyboard, mouse, and speakers, do that are generic and
inexpensive?

3. Will my old Iomega internal atapi zip drive go with this or should I get a
new one? Again I want one that is inexpensive and works with this system and
Linux Mandrake 8.2.

4. Will all of the above plus 512 megs of ram run much faster than my old
Pentium II MMX 200 MHz , Genuine Intel cpu, with 128 megs of ram?

5. What would be a good inexpensive monitor that would go with this? I found
a refurbished Dell for $79.95 specs below:

Dell 17" Monitor (Refurbished) $99.95 $79.95 On Sale!

Dell 17" Monitor (Refurbished)

Please Note: These monitors are almost brand new and were manufactured
between Dec 99 to Mid 2001. Monitor may differ in appearance slightly.

Tube Type
Shadow Mask

Dot Pitch
0.27mm

Viewable Size
16"

HSCAN
30-70Khz

VSCAN
50-160Hz

Max. Resolution
1280x1024

Platforms
PC and MAC

Signal Input
HD15 VGA Connector

Dimension
16.7in (W) x 16.5in (H) x 17.8in (D)

Weight
55lbs Gross

Power Supply
100-240VAC

Condition
Refurbished

Warranty
90 Days

Package Content
Monitor and Power Cord, no documentation.

Surplus Computers
 1600 Duane Ave. Santa Clara, CA 95054
 Retail Store / Mail Order Phone: 408-327-0420
 Mail Order Fax: 408-327-0113

 Any thoughts, suggestions, etc. will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for all of your helpful comments.

Sincerely,

Marcia