---------------------------------
[16] Dwight on sisters illness
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 13, 2001 by tb:
'It was a massive scare and a difficult time for the family to see my sister in that
situation. We'd never experienced anything like it.

'She had an infection of the heart but they thought it was cancer or even AIDS.
Thankfully, it was neither.'

'She's much healthier and back to normal. Poor blood flow through her heart made her
lose weight. But I'm glad I went back when I did.'

---------------------------------
[15] Becks wage demand speculation
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 13, 2001 by tb:
>From Soccernet:

David Beckham's advisers are preparing to raise the stakes over his Manchester United
future by tabling a £100,000-a-week demand when contract talks reopen at Old Trafford
during the next month.

United are reluctant to contemplate such generous terms, even though captain Roy Keane
pockets £52,000 a week after tax and the pay packet of Argentine midfielder Juan
Sebastian Veron is higher still.

But Beckham's glorious week for England and United has not only hoisted him alongside
Zinedine Zidane and Luis Figo on the world stage - it has armed his negotiating team
with a compelling argument to persuade Old Trafford chief executive Peter Kenyon that
their man deserves a six-figure salary.

Kenyon and the club's plc board - where Philip Yea, 45, is a new contender to succeed
Sir Roland Smith as chairman - have been particularly anxious to prevent wages soaring
out of control, after announcing profits of £22million this week.

Yea, a non-executive director, has trebled his shareholding to 15,000 in two deals,
but Centrica boss Roy Gardner, 55, remains the favourite to take charge in March.

---------------------------------
[14] Scholsey: All coming together
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 13, 2001 by tb:
"It's not before time. We were extremely unfortunate to lose to Deportivo in the last
away game so it was a test of character to go to Greece and come back with the win. I
have to admit we've struggled away from home in the Champions League but perhaps this
is the turning point. We can have no complaints - we're sat at the top of our group
and it all seems to be coming together."

---------------------------------
[13] Scholesy on Ingerlund
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 13, 2001 by tb:
"At the end of the day, our objective was to reach the World Cup finals and we've
achieved that," said Scholes. "But the manner in which we achieved it was pretty
disappointing. I think most of the players would hold up their hands and say they
didn't play well. There were few exception apart from Becks, who was absolutely
brilliant - anything he does these days doesn't surprise me, it's handy to have a
player of his ability in the side.

"But overall you can't expect to play well in every game. I think we were surprised by
the Greeks and you have to give them credit for the way they played. But of course we
can do better. But qualification was achieved over a period of time, not just in one
game.

"I think there is plenty of time to get things right before the summer," Scholes
added. "I don't think for one moment that there is a great deal wrong. You come to
expect that people will go over the top when you beat Germany and then play down your
chances when you scrape through at home to Greece.

"That said, the signs of a great team are ones that can play well and win well but
when they're not playing well they don't lose. I'm sure the improvement that is
necessary to make progress in the World Cup will happen.

"I think England have a bright future. There are so many talented players at the
country's disposal we should be upbeat about our chances, not negative."

---------------------------------
[12] Scholesy - I can do better
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 13, 2001 by tb:
>From F365:

"I could do better," I haven't been entirely happy because I think I should be scoring
more. But I won't let my head drop. I've had good, bad and indifferent games but you
go through stages like that. You can't play well in every game but if you come through
bad spells stronger, that's what it's all about."

---------------------------------
[11] Utd behind PFA
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 13, 2001 by tb:
Gordon Taylor says:

"I spoke to Roy Keane, Ryan Giggs, Andy Cole, Ruud van Nistelrooy and Gary Neville and
they were all very supportive of the PFA.

"I also spoke to Juan Veron, and he is aware of all the issues too because we have had
them translated into Spanish and produced a video about them.

"David Beckham was not there but he is very close to Gary Neville and he too knows
about all the issues involved.

"Sir Alex understands our position well and he has also been supportive, which we very
much appreciate.

"The players' union was formed by a nucleus of Manchester United players back in 1907
so it is perhaps appropriate that they are supporting us so strongly now."

---------------------------------
[10] Head to Head stats for Mackems
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 13, 2001 by tb:
>From Sky:

* United have won only 1 of the last 5 league meetings here, last season

* Sunderland have beaten United only once in the 6 Premiership meetings, at Roker Park
in March '97 (4 since)

* However, Sunderland have won 4 of the last 8 here in all comps, the last in the LC
in November 2000 (1 since)

* Only 1 draw in the last 6 league meetings here, 2-2 in December '99

* No player has scored a hat trick in this fixture since Clive Walker hit 3 for
Sunderland in their 3-2 win at Roker Park in November '84

* Today's Ref: Graham Poll (Tring) - 19 yellow and 2 red cards in 5 Premiership games
so far this season

Last Season: Sunderland 0 Man Utd 1 (Cole) - 31st January 2001 (Cole (Utd) & Rae
(Sund) sent off)
Also: Man Utd 3 (Scholes 2, Sheringham) Sunderland 0 - 9th September 2000
Also: Sunderland 2 (Arca, Phillips) Man Utd 1 (Yorke) - LC 4th Round, 28th November
2000 (Yorke (Man Utd) sent off)

---------------------------------
[9] Veron player of the month for September
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 13, 2001 by tb:
The Barclaycard panel said: "Tackle, pass, head, cross, score - he can do the lot.
Since joining the FA Barclaycard Premiership, the Argentinian midfielder has proved
that he is, without doubt, one of the class acts of the current season.

"He has slotted into the Manchester United midfield and, more often than not, has been
the player that is making things happen.

"The fact he has also scored three goals only goes to reiterate what a key player he
is for United.

He must surely be an early favourite for the player of the year accolade."

---------------------------------
[8] Opta stats for the Black Cats
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 13, 2001 by tb:
Tiddles & Co first

8 Games 7

ATTACKING
8 Goals scored 22
0.21 Ave goals per game 3.14
49%  Shooting Accuracy 56%
9%  Goals to shots % 21%

PASSING
3,007 Passes 3,859
70%  Pass completion % 83%

DEFENDING
77%  Tackle success rate % 72%
7 Goals conceded 13
0.18 Ave goals conceded per game 1.86

DISCIPLINE
157  Fouls 102
15 Yellow cards 7
0 Red cards 1

---------------------------------
[7] My little pony on Becks
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 13, 2001 by tb:
As Petit pokes his head over the stable door to say:

"Beckham is a brilliant player and is as important to England as Zidane is to us. He
is an inspiration and is among the best three or four in the world.

"Beckham is England's leader and as captain he leads by example and will be a big star
at the World Cup. He has improved so much and is now the complete player.

---------------------------------
[6] Dwights brother Keith caught up in New York attack
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 13, 2001 by tb:
"Keith works for a computer company just a block away from the towers. When the first
plane struck he went out to see what had happened.

"He was watching as the second plane hit. At that point nobody thought the towers
would collapse.

"But of course they did and Keith had to run like anything to get away.

"You saw people racing away from that cloud of dust and rubble — well Keith was
one of them.

"In my heart I knew he was all right, but I wanted to know for sure.

"For an hour and a half my agent and I were ringing round, trying to get hold of him.

"When we did finally get him it was a great relief."

---------------------------------
[5] Eric has had enough
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 13, 2001 by tb:
As that paragon of tollerence The S*n has got in a tissy cos Eric's next, and last
(according to Dieu himself) acting role is that of a gay pirate.

As the man himself says:

"He’s gay — well, actually, bisexual. I don’t have a problem playing
a homosexual. Some of the greatest gays are the most macho."

---------------------------------
[4] Bet that put them in a good mood!
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 13, 2001 by tb:
>From the S*n:

The England captain was given a huge reception at the Manchester Apollo (for the
simian sisters gig) with the audience chanting "There’s only one David Beckham"
throughout the set.

---------------------------------
[3] Giggsy IMUSA meeting venue change
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 13, 2001 by tb:
It is now in the Trafford suite on Oct 24th, not the Stretford suite as was reported
yesterday, ko 8pm

---------------------------------
[2] Fowler-Yorke swap talk grows
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
Radio 5 live report the rumour tha talks are going on which could see Fowler  swapped
with Yorke. This will appear in the Saturday morning papers, and a Daily Star journo
said they were definite that talks are ongoing but that they are still at an early
stage.

---------------------------------
[1] Becks takes a break
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, October 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
Thanks to Martin for this

'In his regular Friday night preview slot on Irish radio Mark Lawrenson said he met
and chatted with David Beckham in an airport lounge as he (Becks) made his way to
Hannover for the weekend.'

Apparently he has been given the weekend off. He did not train today and took the
flight, with Brooklyn and Victoria where he will
attend a tv show on Saturday evening.

---------------------------------
[35] Becks article doing the rounds on the internet
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
Source unknown, thanks to pat for sending in

'The futures bright - the futures Beckham

Yokohama, June 30 2002 (Reuters)

England overcame an uncharacteristically disappointing performance from captain David
Beckham to lift the FIFA World Cup here today by beating Argentina 4-1. The Manchester
United midfielder could manage only a hat-trick, direct from free kicks of 25, 35 and
75 yards, and blamed tiredness after late-night sessions in his successful attempt to
broker the so-called 'Becksaa Valley Peace Agreement' between Israeli premier Ariel
Sharon and PLO leader Yasser Arafat.

But many pundits put the blame on England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson's controversial
decision to field an experimental 3-3-1 formation which saw Beckham lining up at
centre back, on the left wing and up front as well as in his normal right-sided role.
"I got the idea from watching videos of our 2-2 draw against Greece in October last
year," explained the chastened Swede afterwards.

How ironic that Eriksson should have mentioned that unforgettable
fixture, since it proved a turning point in his skipper's career. Just
days after being hailed for his heroics at Old Trafford which saw
England through to the finals in Japan and Korea, Beckham's United
career appeared over when he clashed for the second time with Sir Alex
Ferguson after failing to turn up for training. However, Ferguson
swiftly took the Leytonstone-born ace off the transfer list after his
absence was explained by video footage of Beckham rotating the world
backwards on its axis, thus turning back the hands of time and saving
top US journalist Lois Lane from certain death in an earthquake.

One week later, the star was parachuted into Kabul and helped the
allies' missiles to better find their targets when he lit up the night
sky above the city by unknown means. "It was as if a huge power source
of solar proportions was emanating from out of his arse," said stunned White House
spokesman Ari Fleischer.

The hastily-knighted footballer had a relatively quiet winter, averaging just two
goals per game for United as the strain of his new role as Railtrack chief executive
began to show. Yet fresh from clinical trials which proved that his faecal matter
didn't stink, Beckham bounced back this spring to lead his side to an unprecedented
quadruple, stopping only to rout the relatively unpopular Rudy Giuliani and become
Mayor of New York. Now, after becoming the first England captain to lift the World Cup
since the late Bobby Moore, there remains only one disappointment for the
shaven-haired hero of millions.

Despite her husband writing all the songs and playing all the
instruments, wife Victoria Beckham's new album Not Such A Talented Girl only entered
the UK charts at number 84 on Sunday. "That f*****g woman's voice could ruin
anything," said a tearful music business insider last night.'

---------------------------------
[34] No problem with World Cup
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
After AXA pulled out of insuring the event after recent events.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter:

"I would have expected a company such as Axa to have given us some warning about this
but there was absolutely none. It really boils down to a question of money and they
clearly want a bigger premium. The deal will have to be renegotiated because the World
Cup cannot go ahead without insurance which covers, for example, bank guarantees,
marketing rights and also acts of terrorism. There is no question that this will stop
the World Cup which will definitely go ahead, and I have always said that a World Cup
in the Far East would be extremely expensive, now it will be even more so."

Axa spokesman Ingo Koch:

"The situation has completely changed in terms of danger and that is why a new
assessment is necessary. We need to put in place a new mechanism for new situations."

---------------------------------
[33] Fergie on Sunderland
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I will make changes. But going to Sunderland is  never easy so I have to be aware of
that. If we were at Old Trafford  I would make four or five changes because we feel
the need to freshen  up. But I'll monitor reaction to the Greece trip before deciding
what  to do. It is never easy to pick a team with all the top players I have  got. It
is the part you don't enjoy, but I think the evidence is  there and it has proved it's
worth over the years. The most important thing is that all the squad know they are
making  a contribution to the season. Andy Cole played and scored against  Olympiakos,
for instance, and that's a great contribution. He will do  that in other games this
season."

---------------------------------
[32] More from Dwight
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
"When I first came the manager tried me with so many  players but then it happened
straight away with Coley.  You need a run of games, and that's why I want to get into
the  team, whether it be partnering Ruud or Coley or whoever."

---------------------------------
[31] Yorke wants chance
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I just want an opportunity to remind people what I can do, and get
a run in the team. A few people have said that myself and Ruud would be an ideal
partnership, and I felt we played well together in pre-season out in  the Far East. It
is a partnership that has not had its chance yet but hopefully  it will happen. But
Andy Cole has looked sharp lately and scored the  other night, and Ole always looks
that way - it can only be a good  thing for the club. It means it is not always good
news for me, but I have to be honest  about it and strong about it. If I can't be like
that, I shouldn't be  at this club. I really feel that my opportunity is just around
the corner."

---------------------------------
[30] Only come to see United
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Sunderland AFC:

'The Black Cats are expecting to achieve a new record crowd this weekend when they
take on Manchester United at the Stadium of Light.  Sunderland put up the sold out
signs at the beginning of the week with not a single seat remaining for the clash.
Demand for the game has been unprecedented with the fixture sold out without the need
for a general sale. More than 47 thousand Sunderland fans are expected to flock to the
stadium on Saturday. Ticket Office Manager Phil Clarkson said:

"There are a lot of Sunderland supporters who are still contacting the
ticket office in the hope that they will be able to purchase a ticket but
unfortunately we have been sold out since the weekend. We are advising supporters that
unless they are in possession of a match ticket or are a season ticket holder they
should not turn up at the ground."

---------------------------------
[29] More from Ruud
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
"The statistics were very  good for Olympiakos at home in the Champions League. They
had never lost a game and this was a tough game for us. I thought we played well and
got the result we wanted."

---------------------------------
[28] United aid in New York
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From official site

'Manchester United fans will meet in Manhattan next month to raise money for New
York's firefighters. Nevada Smith's pub will host a benefit night on Wednesday 7
November. There will be live music and an auction of signed football memorabilia, with
all proceeds from the event going to the NYC Firefighters 9-11 Fund.

Any Manchester United fans in New York are invited to join in on the night, and if
anyone would like to contribute memorabilia for the auction it would be greatly
appreciated.

Those interested can contact Nevada's owners Tom and Paddy McCarthy or manager Jack
Keane by telephone on +1 212 982 2591. Alternatively, e-mail Kim Khan, president of
the New York Reds, at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The New York Reds would also like to thank Manchester United and their supporters all
over the world who have already offered their help and expressed their sympathy
following the terrorist attacks on 11 September.'

---------------------------------
[27] Squads for tomorrow
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
Sunderland team (from): Sorensen, Macho, Gray, Williams, Varga, Craddock, McCann,
Schwarz, Kilbane, Arca, Medina, Phillips, Quinn, Laslandes, Bellion, Thirlwell.

Man Utd team (from): Barthez, Carroll, P Neville, G Neville, Johnsen, Brown, Blanc,
Irwin, Silvestre, Butt, Scholes, Veron, Beckham, Chadwick, Fortune, Giggs, Cole,
Solskjaer, van Nistelrooy, Yorke.

---------------------------------
[26] Latest on Lille tickets
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
As we told you as soon as the draw was made, the game is in Lens. And once again we
ask, what will become of the unsold tickets saved for the official air trip?

'Lille (Away)
Wednesday 31 October.

We have now received the tickets, which are actually priced at the
equivalent of £18.00 and not £9.00 as originally advised by Lille.

All match tickets for members who wish to make their own travel
arrangements have been sold. It should also be noted that Lille has sold  out of their
allocation of tickets, and the match will be played in Lens,  not Lille.

All places on the two types of coach trips have now been sold but
application forms are still available from the Membership Office for the  club's
travel packages by air, which are being sold to all club members on  a first come
first served basis. Season Ticket & LMTB holders should also  produce voucher 69 duly
completed.

Details of the travel packages available are as follows:

OPTION 1: Day Trip from Manchester, price £239.00 (Includes match ticket)

OPTION 2: 2 Day VIP Trip from Manchester, £375.00 plus match ticket

This package includes one night's hotel accommodation in Lille city centre.  Price
based on 2 people sharing.

For further information on the club's travel packages please telephone 0161  868 8462
or 0161 868 8465 during normal office hours, which are Monday to  Friday 9am to 5pm.
On match days the office will be open from 9am until  kick-off and for 20 minutes
after the game.'

---------------------------------
[25] Phil Neville on Becks
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I think certainly the captaincy of England has spurred him on. I think the
responsibility of being captain and what comes with it has taken his game onto another
level. He's phenomenal. His work-rate is important. Everyone knows what he can do at
free-kicks and he scored a great against Olympiakos. But he must run double what
everyone else does in the side and that is what makes him a world-class player."

---------------------------------
[23] Big Fat Ron on Veron
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
He was so excited about him during the game on ITV on Wednesday I thought Big fat Ron
might knock one out on air!

>From the Guardian

'Juan Sebastian Veron has played only 10 games for Manchester United but I'm prepared
to say now that, injury permitting, he'll become an all-time great at Old Trafford.
With the possible exception of George Best, I don't think I've seen a more skilful
player at the club. His vision, range of passing and awareness are phenomenal. He's
always involved and you can see how other super players such as David Beckham and Paul
Scholes respond to him. He gives United a dimension they've not had for a long time.

There's been plenty of talk about Eric Cantona being a catalyst for United, and the
Frenchman was a superb player. But he never dominated European matches the way this
fellow does. At Olympiakos on Wednesday Veron was in the thick of everything and some
of the passes he played were as good as I've seen anywhere. He seems so aware of where
everyone is on the field.

He hit one screaming volley about 60 yards into the path of Gary Neville, who didn't
have to break stride. But it's the disguise in the Argentine's passing which makes him
so special; by that I mean looking one way and playing it the other. It's known in the
game as giving defenders or the goalkeeper the eyes.

The pass he produced to start the move which culminated in Beckham's goal was a
classic example. He was shaping to play the ball right and all of a sudden he checked
it back across his body and picked out Scholes on the left. Very few players can do
that so well.

Billy Bremner was capable of disguise but over a far shorter range of passing. Glenn
Hoddle is the nearest English player I can compare to Veron in that area, although
Veron has far more manoeuvrability around the field; Glenn did it very often from a
standing position.

I remember being struck by Veron's talent when I saw him play for Sampdoria in a
pre-season friendly at Derby just over four years ago. I know United were in the
stands that night and it was probably then they started seriously following him.

His mobility as well as skill was obvious then and I'm amazed at suggestions that he
doesn't get involved as much as he should. He might not go into bone-crunching tackles
like Roy Keane but in his own way he gets round the ball when the opposition have it
and nicks it out.

He reminds me of Laurent Blanc in the way he gets into a crowd scene, nicks possession
and plays a pass. If Keane sticks to that disciplined insurance role beside him United
will take some beating in Europe, provided they tighten up at the back.

The added value of Veron is that you'd be shocked if he doesn't get at least 10 goals
a season. It may be a bit premature to call him the

world's best player but he's not far short. He's in that cluster with stars such as
Luis Figo, Zinedine Zidane, Rivaldo, Patrick Vieira and, of course, Keane and Beckham.

To be the world player I think Veron needs either to win the European Cup this year
for Manchester United or be the outstanding performer in the World Cup. Argentina have
fantastic players and, if they catch fire next summer, they'll be one hell of an act.

Veron reminds me in some ways of Ossie Ardiles, another Argentine who came to England.
I loved to watch Tottenham in the late 70s and early 80s because of Ardiles, even if
it wasn't on duty, and let's not forget that his compatriot Ricky Villa was also a big
talent.

Every time I see Veron play he has me drooling. His performance against Everton was
even better than in Athens. I don't necessarily say he's the best United player since
Best because Bryan Robson, Keane and Beckham would stake claims, but for flair he's
outstanding.

All round I would put Veron and Beckham neck and neck, particularly when Beckham is
allowed to play in that central area for England. Beckham hasn't got so much instant
flair or the same disguise on his passing but he has other attributes in his locker.
He's probably a stronger worker, even though Veron gets up and down. I can see them
running each other close for footballer of the year.

Veron's performance against Olympiakos was all the more impressive when you consider
he'd flown in from an international against Paraguay. For a lot of players that would
be a good excuse not to play or an excuse to use if they played badly. But the
Brazilians and Argentines don't seem too bothered by all the travel. It certainly
didn't hamper United's master of disguise.'

---------------------------------
[22] More Becks on Veron
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
"You expect a performance like that from a world-class player and he
is just that. Juan Sebastian had flown back from  Argentina to join us in Greece but
his fitness level was brilliant.  He has the ability to hold on to the ball, pass the
ball and score  goals - and he has done all those things since being here at United.
He gives us more of an air of unpredictability, he is that sort of  player.  We had a
lot of the ball and showed if you work and play hard, you  get your rewards.  It was
nice to keep a clean sheet, especially for the back four
because they have been getting a lot of stick lately, but it is not  always down to
the defenders. You have to defend throughout the team.
We showed that if you control a game, defend right through the team
and really work hard for each other, you get results."

---------------------------------
[21] More from Becks
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
"To be honest, I felt good and I got back into things again. It was  four days since
the England game, but it was up to the manager  whether he wanted to pick me.  It was
probably a hard decision for him. He saw the game on Saturday  and felt I worked hard
and ran myself into the ground. Maybe he  thought I might not have been fit enough for
the game in Athens, but  it was nice to be out there."

---------------------------------
[20] Robbon on last days at Boro
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I  asked the chief executive what was going on and I was told Steve  McClaren was
going to be appointed.  That's the way I found out. I would have liked to have been
told  rather than find out in the press, which is what really happened."

---------------------------------
[19] Missing Bitters
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
Manchester population falls by 25,000 on Wednesday night, only 13,000 at Minor Rd for
the Worthless cup, where were all those loyal bitters,
never miss a match, sold out every game, massive club...snore
OR was it more entertaining to stay at home, put your feet up and watch a proper team
in a proper cup all on earth telly. Loyal best fans in the world my arse

by BigPev

---------------------------------
[18] Becks on Veron
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
"There is no doubt he is a world-class player. He's fitted in easily at United and I
thought he was excellent against Olympiakos. To think he had just come back from
Argentina and put on a performance like that. He has a great ability to hold on to the
ball, pass it and score goals. He gives us that air of unpredictability which is
needed in Europe."

---------------------------------
[17] Capello linked again
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From the SUN

'FABIO CAPELLO is ready to take over at Manchester United from  Alex Ferguson —
as it was revealed he is taking English lessons.  The Roma coach, along with Bayern
Munich's Ottmar Hitzfeld, is one of the leading favourites to succeed Fergie, who is
due to retire as manager next summer.

Capello has been learning the language with the help of a private home tutor for at
least the last month in preparation for his switch. He first started to learn English
when he quit playing and took up a position with the Berlusconi group, where he
trained as a business manager. The Italian will not cost United a penny in
compensation as he is also out of contract next June — when Fergie's time is up.

But he has angered Roma president Franco Sensi by insisting he will not enter into
discussions until January about extending his stay. That is when he can officially
talk to any club he chooses — although  there is an unwritten rule in Italy that
no poaching takes place during the season. Sensi has calmed his strained relationship
with Capello for the sake of the team, who are recovering from a shaky start in Serie
A. He has already offered him a new four-year contract, which has been turned down
flat.'

---------------------------------
[17] United at Oasis gig!
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'David Beckham ignored Noel Gallagher's jibes and watched Oasis's hometown gig.
Gallagher had called him a "knob" in an interview this week. Beckham was joined by
Manchester United team-mates at the Manchester City-supporting band's show. Ryan
Giggs, Gary Neville, Fabien Barthez and Roy Keane were also at the Manchester Apollo.
The stars turned up unannounced at Manchester Apollo without any security. Manchester
City captain Stuart Pearce was also at the gig. Barthez's wife Linda Evangelista was
also there to watch Johnny Marr join Oasis.'

There too was Sabre Veron and Karl Evans, Utd ticket office head.

---------------------------------
[16] Ireland will play two legged play-off
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
First play-off leg at Lansdowne Road on Saturday November 10, with the away match on
the 15th, against unknown opposition as yet.

FAI chief executive Brendan Menton:

"We are delighted these qualifying games will take place over two legs and not be a
one-off affair in a neutral country. That's what we always wanted. I have told manager
Mick McCarthy and I know that he is very pleased to have the first match at Lansdowne
Road."

---------------------------------
[15] Ridsdale warns PFA
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
"It disappoints me that rhetoric about strike action is happening instead of regular
face-to-face negotiations. It seems that every time we make an offer there is a threat
of strike action in response. I'd say to Gordon 'instead of sabre rattling you should
be negotiating with the Premier League'. We believe that a deal can be reached and we
need to sit around a table with no-one being intransigent. I'd urge the Premier League
people and Gordon Taylor to get into a room and stay there until they sort this out
because, if we end up with a strike, the losers will be the players. They (the PFA)
are getting hooked up on the five per cent figure rather than demonstrating the need
for more money. If the current TV contract gets torn up all current contracts with
players will have to be torn up because it's only because of the TV deal that we can
afford to pay them what we pay them."

---------------------------------
[14] Ruud content
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
"We had some problems in the beginning with the system but now we are all used to it.
You can see that from this result. I will keep on trying to hold the ball up so that
my team-mates can have a breather at the back. It's important for the team to do that
and for me to look for chances, so I'm satisfied. I held the ball so my team-mates
could come with good runs and I could play to them. From that position we could start
playing. I thought we played well and got the result we wanted. It was important to
win because we were so close to getting a result in Deportivo. It was also important
for the team, with last year in mind, to do well away fro home."

---------------------------------
[13] Becks on the Olympiakos win
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
"This is a great result for us because we have won away from home. People had been
criticising our away form in Europe and we needed a result like this. The new system
worked well against Deportivo La Coruna, even though two late mistakes there cost us
victory."

---------------------------------
[12] Becks wants in for every match
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I feel shattered now but at least we've got a rest day. We've got another big game on
Saturday. It doesn't stop but I'm prepared for that. You don't want to take rests at
this point of the season, especially when things have gone so well. I want to play
every game and this has topped off a great week for me after getting to the World Cup.
I want to play every game and this has topped off a great week for me after getting to
the World Cup. On the morning of the Athens game, the manager came up to me and said
he was thinking of leaving me out and asked how I felt. I said I felt fresh enough to
play and that was all he wanted to hear from me. It was a hard game for England
against Greece and it did take a lot out of me, mentally and physically. The manager
knows the answer when he comes to me and says: Do you want to play? It's the manager's
decision who plays but he knows I'll always be up for it."

---------------------------------
[11] Giggs - guest of IMUSA
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by redend:
Giggsy will be the special guest of IMUSA for a questions & answers session in just
under a fortnight's time.

The meeting is on Oct 24th at Old Trafford rather than the usual "upstairs at
O'Briens" venue. "Giggs will be there at 8pm, we're still waiting for confirmation of
the exact suite but Paddy Harveson reckoned they would allow use of the Stretford
Suite" - said, IMUSA organiser, Justen Gill.

There'll be full bar facilities too.

Members of IMUSA can get in for free - non-members can join on the night. IMUSA
membership is only a fiver a year - which is worth it just for the free meetings - and
then there's free entry to Platt's pre-match too. Oh - and just being part of the
leading supporter's organisation in the free world.

( http://www.imusa.org ) http://www.imusa.org

---------------------------------
[10] Keano booked again
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by redend:
Keano has  overtaken Fergie in the autobiography stakes by trousering a record
seven-figure advance for his book, due out next autumn.

The fight between publishers for Keane's life story, which will be ghost-written by
Eamon Dunphy, meant Penguin topped the £1million that Hodder & Stoughton paid Fergie.

Penguin editorial director Roland White: 'Our substantial outlay means we're banking
on the book being a bestseller. However, we're convinced it will be. Roy Keane is the
real deal and, in the mind of many football fans, an iconic figure. He has an
interesting life story to tell, a lot of which hasn't been revealed before. It was
Roy's choice to have Eamon Dunphy as the writer and we feel that their part-nership
will produce a great book.'

---------------------------------
[9] Tkt Info: Arsenal (A) (Premier Lge)
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by redend:
Arsenal (A) This is the Premier League fixture on 25th November  - the allocation for
the League Cup match on 7th November has already sold out.

Sunday 25 November, 4pm.

We will receive an overall allocation of approximately 2,600 tickets for this
Premiership match.

The majority of tickets will be priced £24.00 adults and £12.00 under 16s/over 65s,
while the remainder will be priced £24.50 adults and £12.25 under 16s/over 65s.

Postal applications only are now being accepted from Season Ticket Holders only,
enclosing voucher 27 (duly completed), relevant payment, sae and the following one
match voucher properly affixed to this season's official voucher sheet (2001/2002): 31
(Lille OSC).

Private Box/Exec Suite and Club Class Members can also apply in the usual manner
quoting their facilities held.

All applications need to be received in the Ticket Office no later than 17:00 on
Thursday 18 October. Please note, in the event of being oversubscribed a postal ballot
will be held to determine successful applicants.

---------------------------------
[8] What's RedHotTips bet on?
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by redend:
RHT - since he won a few quid he's such a wanker - he's caned the bookies minor league
and now reckons he knows what he's doing. Well this is what he's put his money on for
this weekend:

Who Will Score the Fastest Goal On Saturday?
Sunderland    12/1    50p

Sunderland v Man Utd HT/FT Result
1. Sunderland 2. Manchester United    25/1   50p

Big spender strikes again then.

To be fair though - a turnaround for United away from home on 1 in 25 matches does
sound good odds ....and it will until the 26th consecutive match .....

If you think you can talk betting shite better than RHT (and the chances are you can)
then inject funds into this (
http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 ) ORIFICE.

---------------------------------
[7] Dutch-German enimity
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
Bayern's Oliver Kahn had a knife thrown at him by Feyenoord fans in the Champions
League game

Ottmar Hitzfeld:

"There was a constant hail of objects during the first half. I don't understand why
there's no fence behind the goals to protect the  players. Their health and well-being
have to be safeguarded."

---------------------------------
[6] Early team news
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
Butt may make the bench but faces another fitness test before making the trip, Keano
still suspended as is McCann for them.

Fergie has said: "there will be changes" from the game in Athens, so one of Becks or
Veron will miss out.

And just to create some tension in the RN orifices (sorry, offices, well if we
actually had any) I'm going to create my own betting faction for Sunderland and
disagree with our betting tipster, who is so far caning the bookies this season.

The Spurs comeback has revitilised the team and we will be using that as a springboard
for the rest of the season. For me it's United all the way on Saturday. Sunderland
have at best been patchy all season - and only Phillips can threaten us. Contain him
and we can win, and get the half-time, full-time lead I suspect...

---------------------------------
[5] Free bets for new punters..
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by redend:
If you haven't opened an account with Sporting Odds yet (what's wrong with you? Its
time for a blow out. Why are you looking at me like that?) new punters get 2 Free bets
- The first is a Free £10 bet on who will be shown the first card in the game between
Liverpool and Manchester United on Nov 4th. The 2nd is a tenner on the FA Cup after 20
quids worth of bets ... or something - bollocks to that though.

With us at Anfield its got to be a United player - and surely Gary (He Hates Scousers)
Neville will outperform Keano under these circumstances with a pre-emptive strike and
plenty of collateral damage.

SIGN UP ( http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 ) HERE
SHY BOY.

---------------------------------
[4] Who will score the earliest goal on Saturday?
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by redend:
Looking at the odds RHT is tempted by Sunderland - admittedly he only looks at United
matches though so don't listen to the gormless twat and save your money.

Chelsea    7/2
Arsenal    6/1
Man Utd    13/2
Ipswich    8/1
Charlton    8/1
Bolton    10/1
Newcastle    10/1
Sunderland    12/1
Everton    12/1
Middlesbrough    12/1
Southampton    16/1
Leicester    20/1

United defence looked solid vs Olympiakos but an early breach is surely on the cards?
( http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 ) burn notes here

---------------------------------
[3] Sunderland - Half Time - United Full Time
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by redend:
OK RedHotTip is gonna bore everyone here but the way United are playing - a half-time
turn around is always worth a punt because it only has to happen about once in 25
matches to break even - and those who went with RHT at Spurs are quids in for the same
stake for another 24 games.

Sunderland   :  Sunderland   11/2
Sunderland   :  Draw   14/1
Sunderland   :  Manchester United   25/1
Draw   :  Sunderland   7/1
Draw   :  Draw   4/1
Draw   :  Manchester United   4/1
Manchester United   :  Sunderland   28/1
Manchester United   :  Draw   16/1
Manchester United   :  Manchester United   15/8

Actually RHT has a point - if this  comes off twice a season you are up. What's the
catch? ( http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 ) It
probably won't. Have you ever seen a poor bookie?

---------------------------------
[2] United to win by what?
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by redend:
RHT admits to talking shite on correct scores - he always says 3 - 1 to United which
at the odds below mean he'd need to be right once in twelve .......

1-0   6/1
2-0   7/1
2-1   7/1
3-0   14/1
3-1   12/1
3-2   25/1
4-0   40/1
4-1   33/1
4-2   50/1

You don't know what you're doing (are you on a grant?). Throw money down (
http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 ) this hole

---------------------------------
[1] More betting shite ..
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 by redend:
........ ignore this - unless you're interested in football, money, fast cars & sex.

RHT tip "Err - United to win - but I wouldn't bet at those shite odds"

 Sunderland     5/2
 Manchester United     5/6
 Draw     5/2

As always - dogshit odds on the result - but if you know what you're doing - don't be
shy: ( http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 ) lose
money here