---------------------------------
[13] Fergie to rest Becks?
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, October 10, 2001 by redend:
Fergie said:
"I will probably put him on the bench - that is my instinct today. I have to consider
the freshness of the team. The effort he produced for England may have an effect on
us. It was 10 miles he ran? That's amazing. It was a hell of an effort physically on
Saturday and with the whole media circus. There is only so much you can get from
players. I have to be sensible."

---------------------------------
[12] Osama Bin Dipper
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, October 10, 2001 by redend:
Sorry if you've already seen this but the following was on the (
http://www.m-u-f-c.co.uk ) http://www.m-u-f-c.co.uk forum (amongst other places)
yesterday:

Latest news reports advise that a cell of 4 terrorists has been operating in
Merseyside, Liverpool. Police advised earlier today that 3 of the 4 have been
detained. The Merseyside Regional Police Commissioner stated that the terrorists Bin
Stealin, Bin Drinkin and Bin Fightin have been arrested on immigration issues.

The Police advise further that they can find no one fitting the description of the
fourth cell member, Bin Workin, in the area.

Police are confident that anyone who looks like Workin will be very easy to spot in
the community.

---------------------------------
[11] Team Line Ups
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, October 10, 2001 by redend:
Possible team line ups - although Becks may be getting splinters in the buttocks until
the 2nd half - or so we're told.

OLYMPIAKOS (probable; 4-2-3-1): D Eleftheropoulos - D Mavrogenidis, J Bermudez, G
Anatolakis, S Venetidis - C Karembeu, C Patsatzoglou - S Giannakopoulos, P Zetterberg,
P Djorjevic - Giovanni.

MANCHESTER UNITED (possible; 4-1-4-1): F Barthez - G Neville, L Blanc, R Johnsen, D
Irwin - R Keane - D Beckham, P Scholes, J S Verón, R Giggs - R van Nistelrooy.

Referee: G Cesari (Italy)

---------------------------------
[10] How things stand for tonight...
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, October 10, 2001 by redend:
This table is bound to be messed up in the email version but ...

Group G

                                              P  W D  L  F  A
PtsDeportívo                               2  1   1   0  4   3    4
Man Utd                                2   1   0   1  2   2   3
Lille                                        2   1   0   1  3   2  3
Olympiakos                            2   0   1   1  3   5   1

RESULTS: Sept 18: Man United 1 Lille 0; Deportívo La Coruña 2 Olympiakos 2. Sept 25:
Deportívo La Coruña 2 Man United 1; Lille 3 Olympiakos 1.

FIXTURES: Today: Lille v Deportívo La Coruña; Olympiakos v Man United. Oct 17: Man
United v Deportívo La Coruña; Olympiakos v Lille. Oct 23: Deportívo La Coruña v Lille;
Man United v Olympiakos. Oct 31: Lille v Man United; Olympiakos v Deportívo La Coruña.

TELEVISION: ITV1: 7.30pm - 9.45pm, live coverage; 11.20pm - 12.30am, highlights.

---------------------------------
[9] Would you like to feel the benefit....
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, October 10, 2001 by redend:
...of my RedHotTip?..

If you followed RHT last Saturday and went for Becks to score from a free kick at any
time during the match you'd have tidied up at 5/1

But can RHT's bookie beating last much longer - well yes with 50p stakes he'll be
sitting on a diminishing pile until the end of the season. The only problem is RHT is
actually starting to think he knows what he is talking about now - he has a system you
see...

Olympiakos v Man Utd Double Result 1. Olympiakos 2. Manchester United £0.50
Potential Return:  £ 13.00

First Goalscorer L.Blanc £0.50
Potential Return:  £ 13.00

( http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 ) BET HERE YOU
ARE A TIGER

---------------------------------
[8] United Comeback - You know the score...
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, October 10, 2001 by redend:
[Your betting Guru - RedHotTip says "Good odds on a half time turnaround - I had this
for United at Spurs - 26:1 - which was nice. Not sure how easy it would be to pull it
back in a more volatile atmosphere in Athens though? Could easily see them storming
back with a mental crowd though? Maybe go for both half time turnaround's - is that
illogical Mr Spock?  (Shut it you Vulcan twat)"]

Double Result
Olympiakos   :  Olympiakos   4/1
Olympiakos   :  Draw   14/1
Olympiakos   :  Manchester United   25/1
Draw   :  Olympiakos   11/2
Draw   :  Draw   7/2
Draw   :  Manchester United   4/1
Manchester United   :  Olympiakos   25/1
Manchester United   :  Draw   16/1
Manchester United   :  Manchester United   11/4

You know the score...

...do you?

[Correct Score - RedHotTip finds this too hard - but a pert set of odds for 3-2 at
25/1 catches the eye? Must be a good chance we won't keep a clean sheet in Athens.
Although we were only a few minutes away in A Coruna .....]

Correct Score - United to Win
1-0   5/1
2-0   8/1
2-1   8/1
3-0   22/1
3-1   18/1
3-2   25/1
4-0   66/1
4-1   50/1
4-2   50/1

( http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 ) BET HERE LOSER

---------------------------------
[7] Banzai - RedHotTip
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, October 10, 2001 by redend:
Match Result Tonight

[RedHotTip says ....."Dunno..." ]

Olympiakos    15/8
Manchester United    6/5
Draw    11/5

First Goalscorer

[RedHotTip says - "Ruud Van Nistelrooy Tra La La....5/1? - leave it out. Veron or
Blanc have more tempting odds at 10 and 25. I'll have a badger (= 50p) on Larry White
at 25/1 then. Storming header from an early corner is RHT's premonition." ]

R.Van Nistelrooy    5/1
A.Cole    11/2
O.Solskjaer    7/1
D.Yorke    7/1
P.Scholes    7/1
J.Veron    10/1
D.Beckham    10/1
R.Giggs    14/1
Q.Fortune    16/1
L.Chadwick    16/1
R.Keane    16/1
L.Blanc    25/1
N.Butt    25/1
D.Irwin    25/1
R.Johnsen    33/1
P.Neville    40/1
M.Silvestre    50/1
D.May    50/1
W.Brown    50/1
G.Neville    66/1

( http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 ) BET HERE

---------------------------------
[6] How long before Keano mutililates a Scouser?
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, October 10, 2001 by redend:
You can bet on it - sort of ....

If you fancy a punt on tonight's match and you haven't opened an account with Sporting
Odds yet new punters get 2 Free bets - The first is a Free £10 bet on who will be
shown the first card in the game between Liverpool and Manchester United on Nov 4th.
The 2nd is a tenner on the FA Cup after 20 quids worth of bets ... or something.

With us at Anfield its got to be a United player - and surely Gary (He Hates Scousers)
Neville will outperform Keano under these circumstances with a pre-emptive strike and
plenty of collateral damage.

SIGN UP ( http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 ) HERE
SHY BOY

---------------------------------
[6] Remember Red News is YOUR fanzine
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, October 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
So keep those articles, letters, graphics, etc, coming in to

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

We are always on the look out for news, contributions for the fanzine and, of course,
cheap alcohol. We appreciate all the stuff you send to us and it's why we're now fast
approaching our 15th birthday. (cue ghasts as we realise just how much we've aged in
that period...we hadn't won the league back then for 19 years and city were only a
little pup approaching their 10th trophyless season!).

---------------------------------
[5] UEFA unhappy with ITV figures
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, October 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
Uefa communications director Mike Lee:

"ITV do a very good job on the Champions League but the figures from its digital
channel are disappointing. We would like the games to be made available to a wider
audience."

Only 52,000 (not including pubs) watched our game in Coruna.

---------------------------------
[4] Some facts and figures
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, October 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From RN reader Paul

Under Alex we've played 586 league games...won 321...drawn 160...lost 105.

Working on the %'s of 58%...27%...18%...we are on target for 73 points  this season.

Looks like it's going to be close...fun & frolics...excitement down to
the last few games again....let's hope so anyway!

---------------------------------
[3] Ireland unsure of World Cup play off venue
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, October 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
Football Association of Ireland president, Milo Corcoran:

"We will be having urgent talks over the next 48-hours with senior Fifa officials who
will be attending the Congress. We are looking for a quick decision by the governing
body of football as this would be in the interests of all parties concerned. Both FAI
and Fifa recognise that military action which started in Afghanistan on Sunday might
increase the difficulties."

---------------------------------
[2] They would say that wouldn't they
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, October 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
A review, by consultancy firm Deloitte and Touche on the possible Professional
Footballers' Association action.

Gerry Boon, head of Deloitte and Touche Sport, said: "It is clear that increases in
players' wages, which each club freely negotiates with its employees, far exceed the
money the clubs receive from broadcast contracts. And yet players, through the PFA,
now press for more from the leagues. It is important to note that it isn't just the
top internationals reaping financial benefit - players at every level of the game are
generally much better off. Wisdom is now needed to avoid a dispute that could alienate
the fans and risk prejudicing the well-being and standing of the industry.
Furthermore, if the PFA is to continue its excellent educational and benevolent work
with former players, for example, it must demonstrate, in a verifiable manner, the
need for extra funding."

---------------------------------
[1] This is their level?
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, October 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
Plastic treble defence falls at the first hurdle.

Liverpool 1 Grimsby - yes the mighty European Champions of Grimsby 2

Houlahoop: "I congratulate them and wish them good luck in the rest of the competition
- but I can't be upset with my team. Their effort was right, I have told them they
can't blame themselves because these things happen sometimes. The ball just didn't
run. Their 'keeper, Danny Coyne, was outstanding, easily the man of the match with a
string of great saves. We wanted to win, we wanted to do well in the competition
again, but we were not sloppy, or complacent. In fact my players were heroes, they
have come back from international duty and played two hours out there and given
everything. It just wasn't our day. Grimsby weren't a threat until the second period
of extra time, 15 minutes in which they turned the game round. They had nothing to
lose after we'd scored that penalty. Their 'keeper had been outstanding, he had a
wonderful night with so many saves."

---------------------------------
[25] FA shitting themselves
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
FA spokesperson on Sven rumours

"Sven has a contract with us until 2006 and we have no reason to
believe he will not see it out. He is part of our long-term planning and he believes,
as we do, that he will be here for the duration."

---------------------------------
[24] Fergie nearly misses flight
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'Sir Alex Ferguson almost missed Manchester United's flight to Athens for the
Champions League game with Olympiakos.

Everyone was ready for take-off when Ferguson rushed on board 10 minutes before the
Maersk Air flight was due to leave Manchester.

The United manager had been held up in heavy traffic on his drive to the airport.

At least Ferguson made the charter flight. Not on board was Nicky Butt, who stayed
behind in Manchester for further treatment on his rib injury.

Also missing was Juan Sebastian Veron.

He was due to join up with the team in Athens after flying directly from South America
where he has been on World Cup duty for Argentina against Paraguay.

Wes Brown made the trip and declared himself fit for the match in the Spiros Louis
stadium after being sidelined for the last three weeks with a hamstring injury.

Ryan Giggs, who has had a back injury, and Dwight Yorke, who has had thigh trouble,
also travelled.

David Beckham was on the flight and he was mobbed by cameramen and autograph hunters
when he arrived at Manchester airport. He also had three Greek policeman to protect
him as he made his way out of the arrivals hall at Athens airport.'

---------------------------------
[23] Differing viewpoint to Silvestre
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
Frank Leboeuf on France-Algeria

"Our lives were put in danger. Les  Bleus were used for political purposes.  If they'd
listened to the players the match would have been postponed given the context. I got
mad. What if a madman had run on with a knife? I'm not really angry with the kids who
ran on the pitch, but with those who were unable to assure the security.When we are
not good on the pitch, we quickly get put on the subs' bench.  We did our job, others
didn't do theirs. They should take responsibility for the incidents."

---------------------------------
[22] Red News reader on Becks
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
Only One David Beckham

And he's not OURS anymore. As his free kick arced into the Greek goal last Saturday, I
like many others was up out of my seatcelebrating. It's not usually the done thing for
most reds to support our national team, but I defy any Red to not feel a leap in the
heart when that fantastic shot hit the net. Upon further (sober!) reflection though,
the reaction to Becks' goal, and England's subsequent qualification for next year's
World Cup, reveals a shift in attitudes towards our most high-profile player, and by
extension a shifting attitude in the national perception of United players.

Although we were all disgusted by the OTT reaction to Dave's sending off in World Cup
1998, effigies hanging from sad cockney lampposts and all that. I, like many other
reds I suspect, was secretly happy, as this hatred of our most famous player brought
out the United siege mentality that we know and love. Veterans of the Cantona press
wars of 1995 rubbed their hands in glee at another concerted ABU campaign against the
club. For as Eric defined the club for many outsiders back in the mid 90ís (all
brooding arrogance and regular flashes of blinding skill), so Becks has defined the
club (for better or worse) ever since the King's departure.

>From the moment Kim Neilson lifted that card, it was clear that Beckham couldnít
>leave United. He received unconditional support from the fans, as the barricades were
>manned against the jackals of the tabloid press.  Becks repaid this faith, our faith,
>with tireless performances both at home and abroad, indeed although Teddy and Ole
>were the Barca heroes, Beckham ran himself into the ground in pursuit of that
>equalising goal against Bayern, and deserved his assists on the corners. Over time,
>and perhaps more so since Beckham became England captain, the national mood, and the
>press, (maybe that should be the other way round?) have mellowed to our No.7, this
>new feeling reaching it's crescendo on Saturday.

As a red, I have mixed emotions, I'm happy for Beckham, as fans of other teams can now
see what a great player he is, and why United fans have supported him over the last
few years. However, there are a certain amount of slapped arses on both sides of the
argument. For a start, the fickleness of most of the idiots who support England is a
particularly galling aspect of recent fan culture. If you think we have too many
clueless 'prawn-sandwich munchers' at OT, then you want to get yourself to an England
game (or maybe you don't), those boos at half time were indicative. It is these very
same fans who barrack the team when all is not well to whom OUR Dave is now a hero.

Likewise, the recent moan of some United fans (myself included until Spurs away) has
been to point out that Beckham never seems to play as well for United as he does for
England. The retort to this argument is simple: he doesn't have to. When Giggs is on
the left, and Keano and Veron are in the middle the pressure is not on Dave to be the
ONLY source of creativity. For England, despite what scousers might think, Gerrard is
no Keane, and whoever is playing on the left of midfield is usually a waste of time,
so Beckham is charged with the responsibility of being the creative heartbeat of the
team.

In Euro 2000, this looked beyond him, however since then he has shown a willingness to
come inside to create opportunities, and the last few weeks have seen him start to
maturely take games by the scruff of neck, and not let go until the result goes his
way. For Greece on Saturday, see Lille in the Champions League for a dry run, for the
last 20 minutes of each game, Beckham lifted his flagging team-mates with his
willingness to chase everything and unwillingness to accept the scoreline. He is
becoming the all round midfielder he threatened to be when he broke into our first
team back in 1995, for Christ's sake, he's even our top scorer this season!

It's going to be a strange time for United fans. Eric was one of us, and opposing fans
treated him as such, vilifying him whilst fearing his wrath. Even Robbo back in the
80s, despite being England captain, and despite pulling England out of the shit more
times than Beckís has done, was never loved by other fans. Indeed the common 90s
rewrite of Robbo is that of the box-to-box trundler in the Mcmahon/ Batty mould rather
that the rampaging goal-scoring hero we remember. In Beck's case, one of our heroes is
now a hero to other fans as well, hopefully this won't lead to the sickening applause
that Michael Owen received at The Dell in 98, but you never know how low modern
ëfootieí fans will sink. I for one will be happy if Dave receives a volley of abuse at
every away ground he visits, culminating in an orgy of hatred at the home of 'Little
England', Upton Park. Then I'll know he's OURS and not THEIRS for sure.  Oh and
there's little matter of a contract that needs signing.

Lazyitis.

---------------------------------
[21] Surprised it took them so long
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From the Guardian rumours

'Forget Martin O'Neill or Louis Van Gaal; England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson is the
man topping Manchester United's shortlist to replace Sir Alex Ferguson, claims a world
exclusive in the Daily Star. And the evidence m'lud? Well, the paper reckons that
Eriksson is "said to be missing the day-to-day contract with players that club
management offers." And United are "said to be confident" they can persuade Eriksson
away from his £10m five-year contract with the FA after the World Cup finals. Well,
we'll see.'

As we say, don't bet against it as long as he were given the World Cup Finals and then
could join.