---------------------------------
[20] Liverpool start to shake
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
Houllier on Gerrard:

"What happened in the week added pressure on the players and on the team and it was
not the best climate in which to play such an important game. All the focus should be
on the game. You are not sure to succeed in this job, but you are absolutely sure to
fail if you are not 100 per cent focused. It is not down to the manager. It must come
from within the player. If the player is not committed to himself, committed to his
job, committed to his lifestyle, he has no chance."

---------------------------------
[19] Fergie on last season
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
"This season is particularly important for me personally because it  is my last. Much
is being made of the fact that the Final  is being played in Glasgow, my native city.
A scenario which would take me home in triumph may appeal to some, but I can't allow
myself to be sidetracked by that kind of thought. I don't think football owes me a
final in Scotland nor do I consider after a successful career that I need a final at
Hampden Park to give me a fitting finale. I am proud of what I have achieved and I
shall not allow the ideas of others to interfere."

---------------------------------
[18] More from Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
"So when I first came into Europe with Aberdeen I was thinking about speed of play and
passing, while still trying to absorb the lessons of Manchester United and learn about
tactical variations and methods of preparation. I was also aware of the strain on
British teams with so little time between our domestic programme and European
fixtures. As I say, Europe is a litmus paper, not just for revealing your team's
ability but the way you play and tactically prepare."

---------------------------------
[17] Fergie - Celtic inspired me
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
"When I was a young coach and indeed, as a player, the great drive was to keep the
game fast, run the opposition off their feet and get the ball into the penalty area.
The thinking then was foreigners didn't like heading the ball. It needed somebody like
Celtic and the way they played their football to come along to change my way of
thinking about what my approach should be against foreign teams.  Celtic, with their
great speed of passing and movement, also had a great manager in Jock Stein. They
became the first British winners of the European Cup when they faced Inter. On the one
side was the Italian approach, scoring early and sitting back to defend, while up
against them was the perseverance of Celtic, knocking on the door all night. The
Italian system held intact for over an hour but Celtic never let the ball stop and
their sheer persistence and speed of play eventually broke Inter down. As a Scottish
player, I couldn't help but be inspired by what Celtic achieved. The ne!
xt season came an even newer way of playing with the emergence of Sir Matt Busby's
team at Manchester United. You look at that team and they were all footballers, no
long balls up the pitch. They played the right way and had three world-class players
in Sir Bobby Charlton, George Best and Denis Law. That team also gave me a track that
I wanted to go down."

---------------------------------
[16] Share dealings
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
'Manchester United PLC has today been informed that the following share purchases were
made on 8 October 2001:

Mr P F Kenyon (Chief Executive) has purchased 17,511 ordinary shares in the Company at
121.75p per share. Mr P F Kenyon is now interested in 17,511 ordinary shares.

Mr D A Gill (Group Managing Director) has purchased 18,970 ordinary shares in the
Company at 121.75p per share. Mr D A Gill is now interested in 23,215 ordinary shares.

The issued share capital of the Company is 259,768,040 ordinary shares.

The above purchases relate to the share element of the Company's annual performance
related bonus scheme in respect of the year ended 31 July 2001.'

---------------------------------
[15] More team news
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'Sir Alex Ferguson faces an anxious wait before naming Manchester United's side for
their Champions League clash with Olympiakos. Ferguson is hoping Juan Sebastian Veron
will arrive on time after flying direct from Paraguay. Veron played in a World Cup
qualifier for Argentina on Sunday night.

He faced the long haul to Europe after playing the whole of the match and aimed to
train with United as they prepared for the match in Greece. The game was rescheduled
following the terrorist atrocities in America on September 11 and immediately caused
problems for United because it came close to the international break.

Ferguson said defender Wes Brown was available again after being out with a hamstring
strain but he ruled out Nicky Butt, who has not fully recovered from the rib injury
picked up at Tottenham 10 days ago. Ferguson will also check on Ryan Giggs before
finalising his team plan. Roy Keane is eligible for this game although he is still
suspended for two more Premiership matches.'

---------------------------------
[14] Becks should be on £40m a year
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
According to Mark McCormack, agent of Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan.

"People are willing to pay top dollar for the best, and Beckham belongs in that
bracket. He should be earning the sort of money Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan are
getting. If his earnings are multiplied many times, it would be no more than he
deserves. No one resents people in that category their millions as they generate huge
interest in their sport. They get sponsors queuing to be associated with their
success. And after seeing that goal by David and the reaction to it, I'd say he ought
to be the Tiger Woods of soccer, no question."

---------------------------------
[13] No, we're not joking
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
The SUN is now offering its readers David Beckham wallpaper. We say it once again, is
that what they said back in 1998? Only Utd stayed loyal to Becks then, and he knows it.

---------------------------------
[12] Early team news
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
Although they all make the trip to Greece at the moment Giggs, Brown and Butt are all
doubtful.

---------------------------------
[11] Cockernee hell
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
The landlord of the pub in South Norwood - the Pleasant Pheasant - that saw its
customers hang an effigy of Becks back in '98 now even gets in on the act

"It's amazing. If he had come in here a few years ago he would have been lynched. If
he paid a visit now he wouldn't be allowed to buy a drink all night and everyone would
treat him like a hero"

---------------------------------
[10] More from Lawrenson
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
"That is what makes him such a valuable player and why any of the top clubs would
break the transfer record to sign him. But the fantastic thing for his club and
country is that he loves playing for Manchester United and England and no-one can buy
that sort of passion, commitment and work-rate."

---------------------------------
[9] Mark Lawrenson on Becks
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
"For a player with so much ability, his work-rate and passion for the game is
incredible. Beckham's fitness levels are incredible but that is the case week-in and
week-out with Manchester United. However, on Saturday against Greece it was almost a
one-man mission. Becks must have covered every blade of grass, tackled every single
Greek player and gone for every challenge. And yet he still had the energy and the
strength in his legs to hit an incredible free-kick. You think of the other great
midfield players like Luis Figo, Zinedine Zidane and Alessandro Del Piero and none of
them put in Beckham's work-rate."

---------------------------------
[8] Big Lily - the massive flag
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
Anyone catch Big Lily the flag's owner on Talksport last night - another massive
mention count as I lost count after 30 odd. As he said
it's a massive flag! and now he's massively glad to be reunited with Lily...

---------------------------------
[7] Dutch manager speaks
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
Van Gaal:

"The interest of United is old news. Clubs  always show an interest in Van Gaal. That
has always been the case, wherever  I work.  I am working for the KNVB at the moment.
I'm not thinking about other clubs.  First I'll make a decision about whether I'll
continue at the KNVB or quit."

One thing that worries me - why does he heep speaking about himself as if he's not
there? Van Gaal has a good record, Van Gaal has clubs after him, etc, etc - no, I have
a good record, I have clubs after ME, ME, ME!

---------------------------------
[6] Ruud wants Van Gaal as boss - at Holland
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, October 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
"When I read the magazines then there are three names mentioned for United and Van
Gaal  is one of them. He hasn't asked me whether he should continue or quit at
Holland. If he would then I would tell him to stay. It's over for us now,  but I
believe that we should continue with this group on our way to Portugal.  I just think
that he will continue. It's more of a gut feeling"

[5] Game definitely to go ahead
Posted Tuesday, October 9, 2001 by bar-knee: