From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 18 August 2009 1:44 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Mail server software

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Brian Desmond<br...@briandesmond.com> wrote:
> What's the problem with the database engine? There's been a massive
> amount of engineering work in that space - I don't expect it's going anywhere.

  I can't speak for the OP... but the fact that the Exchange IS is a giant
binary blob, completely opaque for the most part, requiring special tools to
work with it, has always made me somewhat uncomfortable.

  I worked with a Cyrus mail system once that was really sweet.  It could
handle many more users on much smaller hardware vs Exchange at the time, and
all the mail was still stored in plain text files (one per message).  You could
analyze the message store with the "more" command if you had to.  I don't think
we ever had to, but it was nice to know you had the option.