> What's the problem with the database engine? There's been a massive
> amount of engineering work in that space - I don't expect it's going
anywhere.

Yeah, and much needed work.  I'm part of that group surprised they
didn't move to from ESE to SQL finally in Exch 10.  They spend so much
time tweaking each engine, I am surprised that they don't combine their
efforts.  The things that ESE can finally do, SQL could do ages ago.
Also, IMO, if Exch was built on SQL, it would prove to their customer
their faith in it's own SQL product to handle a DB intensive app like
Exchange.

Sam