On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 10:43 PM, Ken Schaefer <k...@adopenstatic.com> wrote:
> Hmm - do you use a DBMS (like SQL Server or Oracle) as well?

  Actually, not really.  We're small.  (There's a couple MSDE
instances, and a Firebird instance, all in support of various
applications, but they're more "embedded" then something we use in and
of itself.)

  And that's the thing: What typically separates an embedded database
from a "real DBMS" is that a DBMS is generic, and has lots of
general-purpose tools to explore and manipulate the data, independent
of any particular application or use.  Just like we have for a
filesystem.  Just like we *don't* have for ESE.  :)

  More to the point, email doesn't really fit the database model.
Email doesn't consist of fixed-length records, or rows and columns.
Email is a bunch of discrete, variable-length entities, with arbitrary
internal structure.  In other words, it's a lot more like a bunch of
files than database.

  Someone on the Sunbelt Exchange list once remarked that ESE is as
much like a filesystem as it is a traditional database.  Which I'm
guessing is true.  But that leads to the question... why not use the
filesystem?  :)

  Again, on my list of things to worry about, the nature of Exchange's
backend storage is fairly far down.  But if we're on the subject, I
think the design has some issues, and there are ways it could be done
better.  I've also got plans for world peace.  Just put me in charge
of everything and we're all set...  ;-)

-- Ben