Il giorno lun, 21/06/2010 alle 11.05 +0200, Viktor TARASOV ha scritto:
> resoli - libero wrote:
> > This thread is really interesting looking from an italian perspective.
> >
> > Viktor mentioned the fact that in Italian CNS card PIN and signature are
> > secure messaging protected, as reported by Emanuele Pucciarelli that
> > created also some patches[1] to support that cards in OpenSC.
> >
> > Unfortunately the sm 3DES keys needed are static, and usually embedded
> > in proprietary pkcs11 libs, so no chance to have a true open source
> > implementation at this time.
> >

> Static secret keys do contradict the open source implementation.
> The last one will provide the possibility to supply the keys knowledge to
> the middleware (the simplest way to look for it's values in the card
> profile)
> or to externalize the SM encoding of the APDUs (through the loadable
> modules).

Are you referring to this part:

"...
The main features are:
- 'Secure Messaging' and 'External Authentication' are performed by
external, dynamically loadable module. This relatively small module have
different implementations:
-- 'local' version have access to the keysets and used mostly for tests;
-- 'distant' version should communicate with some distant entity capable
to generate secured APDUs. (In our SCM application such a module uses
IPC to communicate with XPCOM extention of the application's XUL
client-side part. This last one, in its turn, uses XMLHttpRequest to
communicate with the distant server that has a knowledge of keysets.)
..."

of your original message[1] ?
In that case, do you see any use case for the "distant" SM module by the
cardholder in normal usage (signing documents, for example) of the card?

Moreover, I'm rather curious about SM for digital signature outside
Italy; is it used at all?

If yes, is it implemented in a similar fashion? (SM keys embedded in sw
libraries?)

If it is not used, how CWA 14169 "secure path" and "secure channel"
requirements,  (CWA 14169 is referred by [2]) are being satisfied?

> > IAS-ECC specification describes a "Device authentication with Privacy
> > Protection" scheme[2] where sm session keys are negotiated each time
> > using a protocol similar to TLS.
> >
> > I have looked at the code posted by Viktor at
> >
> > http://www.opensc-project.org/svn/opensc/branches/vtarasov/opensc-sm.trunk
> >
> > and it seems to me that that part is still not covered. Is it correct?
> >

> Yes, it's still under development.
> Before SM implementation, I would like to finish the 'common' support of
> the IAS-ECC card
> and test it with the actually available cards 'Gemalto IAS-ECC
> Multi-App' and 'Oberthur IAS-ECC v1.0.1'.
>
> If you are interested by the other IAS-ECC card you can send it me.
> My own interest is to make this support the most general .

Many thanks, but i think that IAS-ECC adoption for italian ID cards is
only still an eventuality. I have no perception of any activity in that
direction at the moment.

bye,
rob

[1] http://www.opensc-project.org/pipermail/opensc-devel/2010-April/014063.html