resoli - libero wrote:
> Il giorno lun, 21/06/2010 alle 11.05 +0200, Viktor TARASOV ha scritto:
>> resoli - libero wrote:
>>> This thread is really interesting looking from an italian perspective.
>>>
>>> Viktor mentioned the fact that in Italian CNS card PIN and signature are
>>> secure messaging protected, as reported by Emanuele Pucciarelli that
>>> created also some patches[1] to support that cards in OpenSC.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately the sm 3DES keys needed are static, and usually embedded
>>> in proprietary pkcs11 libs, so no chance to have a true open source
>>> implementation at this time.
>>>
>> Static secret keys do contradict the open source implementation.
>> The last one will provide the possibility to supply the keys knowledge to
>> the middleware (the simplest way to look for it's values in the card
>> profile)
>> or to externalize the SM encoding of the APDUs (through the loadable
>> modules).
>
> Are you referring to this part:
>
> "...
> The main features are:
> - 'Secure Messaging' and 'External Authentication' are performed by
> external, dynamically loadable module. This relatively small module have
> different implementations:
> -- 'local' version have access to the keysets and used mostly for tests;
> -- 'distant' version should communicate with some distant entity capable
> to generate secured APDUs. (In our SCM application such a module uses
> IPC to communicate with XPCOM extention of the application's XUL
> client-side part. This last one, in its turn, uses XMLHttpRequest to
> communicate with the distant server that has a knowledge of keysets.)
> ..."
>
> of your original message[1] ?
> In that case, do you see any use case for the "distant" SM module by the
> cardholder in normal usage (signing documents, for example) of the card?
>
> Moreover, I'm rather curious about SM for digital signature outside
> Italy; is it used at all?

It is a used by for example Swedish governments for citizens' on-line
tax-declaration.
I believe 500 000 people used it this year.

> If yes, is it implemented in a similar fashion? (SM keys embedded in sw
> libraries?)

No, I don't think SM has reached out to citizen/consumer PCs for several
reason including a IMHO rather questionable security model.  Why would
the libraries be any more trustworthy than the rest of the computer?

> If it is not used, how CWA 14169 "secure path" and "secure channel"
> requirements,  (CWA 14169 is referred by [2]) are being satisfied?

In Scandinavia qualified certificates do not exist so these CWAs do not
apply.

>>> IAS-ECC specification describes a "Device authentication with Privacy
>>> Protection" scheme[2] where sm session keys are negotiated each time
>>> using a protocol similar to TLS.
>>>
>>> I have looked at the code posted by Viktor at
>>>
>>> http://www.opensc-project.org/svn/opensc/branches/vtarasov/opensc-sm.trunk
>>>
>>> and it seems to me that that part is still not covered. Is it correct?
>>>
>> Yes, it's still under development.
>> Before SM implementation, I would like to finish the 'common' support of
>> the IAS-ECC card
>> and test it with the actually available cards 'Gemalto IAS-ECC
>> Multi-App' and 'Oberthur IAS-ECC v1.0.1'.
>>
>> If you are interested by the other IAS-ECC card you can send it me.
>> My own interest is to make this support the most general .
>
> Many thanks, but i think that IAS-ECC adoption for italian ID cards is
> only still an eventuality. I have no perception of any activity in that
> direction at the moment.
>
> bye,
> rob
>
> [1]
> http://www.opensc-project.org/pipermail/opensc-devel/2010-April/014063.html
> [2] http://www.id.ee/public/l_17520030715en00450046.pdf

I may be biased but I believe SM has a better future for on-line provisioning
of keys
than for *using* keys in consumer PCs because the former is necessary for
verifying that
keys actually are in the cards while the latter seems of questionable value
since
it assumes that a user can separate a trusted GUI from a bad GUI and if somebody
steals your PIN the sky will not fall down anyway.

Here is an SM scheme that supports *transaction-based" provisioning:

http://webpki.org/auth-token-4-the-cloud.html

Yes, it requires better cards but why should smart card have 64K when mobile
phones have Gigabytes?

Anders