Hi Anders,

I'm very interested in these matters too. (Thanks, Roberto, for
starting the discussion here!)

>> Moreover, I'm rather curious about SM for digital signature outside
>> Italy; is it used at all?
>
> It is a used by for example Swedish governments for citizens' on-line
> tax-declaration.
> I believe 500 000 people used it this year.

I'm not sure I understand entirely; so the system uses a digital
signature, but would you know if it uses secure messaging too?

>> If yes, is it implemented in a similar fashion? (SM keys embedded in sw
>> libraries?)
>
> No, I don't think SM has reached out to citizen/consumer PCs for several
> reason including a IMHO rather questionable security model.  Why would
> the libraries be any more trustworthy than the rest of the computer?

Do I infer correctly that the system uses secure messaging, but
client-side software is limited to relaying encoded APDUs that are
generated/decoded by the server-side application?

As for your question: I agree entirely with your observation, as there
is nothing making client-side libraries more trustworthy or able to
shroud the SM keys, yet this is the model by which Italian qualified
signatures are deemed compliant with CWA 14169.

Thanks!

--
Emanuele