Hannu Kotipalo wrote:
> >> Personally, I got pissed off with fighting with openct. pcsclite
> >> works much better.
> >
> > This is simply not true. As I already explained, OpenCT works
> > perfectly, and it offers the rather significant advantage that
>
> hmm.. when I tried openct some time ago, I couldnot get it to work.
> I was using ccid redaer with MyEID card on a 64 bit system. MaybeI
> should give it another try?

Well, if you have a working setup which you are happy with then
there's also no need to change that, right? :)

I have a mixed 32/64 system, but the smart card related packages I
run are so far 32. I need to switch to a full 64 system soon, if you
like I can keep you updated on how OpenCT and cm4040 works for me
there.

> > I do not have to rely on a closed source software for doing my
> > smart card crypto. I'm surprised that you don't care about that.
>
> Well, I would preferopen source.. but wouldthere be closed source on
> 4040 case anyway?

The HID Global ifdhandler .so file is closed source. Only their
kernel module is published with source code.

> >> When installing CardMan to be used with pcsclilte,
> >
> > You mean when installing the vendor supplied PCMCIA driver and the
> > closed source ifdhandler. Remember that I also use the reader with
> > pcsc-lite, even though it's through OpenCT.
>
> Hmm.. maybe I try openct again some day with my CardMan4040.

Let me know if you would like more information from me about my
setup. I'm happy to document it in order to help others.

The way I do some things will probably be different from what others
would like, but that should be easy enough to adjust.

I e.g. have udev run openct-control init as my user, and I manually
run pcscd -f when I want to use the reader. One or both those things
can be done differently if prefered.

//Peter