I really don't think this thread is at all useful or helpful, but I
can't seem to resist.  :-<

Bill Rushmore writes:
> On Thu, 9 Mar 2006, Darren J Moffat wrote:
> >
> > Basically I'm saying it isn't that easy you must consult a real
> > lawyer.  We inside Sun have to consult a lawyer every time we
> > want to add any free/open source software into a Sun product.
>
> That is completely unrealistic for the typical open source contributor.

I think it's also completely unrealistic to expect Sun (or any entity
other than your own lawyer) to provide you with legal advice.

> They are gracious enough to put in their own effort now you expect them to
> hire a lawyer?

Not exactly.  If you're contributing your own materials (developed on
your own and without use of someone else's "property") and you want to
put it under CDDL, that's your right as an author.

If you're taking someone else's work, then you have to abide by the
terms that other person granted to you for the work.  It isn't yours.
If he gave you the right to put it under some other license, great.
If he didn't, or if you're just unsure, then you my have a problem,
and you need competent legal advice.

Moreover, you can't force someone else to accept something they don't
want to have.  It isn't up to you to determine someone else's
liability or perception of risk for accepting something from you.

Unfortunately, all of the field of software (including Linux and other
systems) is an IPR minefield, and there's no end in sight.  Tread
accordingly.

--
James Carlson, KISS Network                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>