> On 4/14/06, Dennis Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> <snip good, explanatory stuff>
>
>> So we have another stage of verification.  Someone must actually know this
>> person and be able to verify them.  Also a really tough policy to enforce.
>> I think we had a person in Germany that waited for a while before someone
>> could drive over to them and meet them.  We also had to say goodbye to
>> another valuable maintainer because he could not be verified.
>
> I can appreciate why such a requirement is in place.  Would it be
> possible to update some of the information on blastwave.org to reflect
> this?  When reading the packaging standards, maintainer signup form,
> etc, I never saw mention of this, and it's a pretty key requirement.
>
>> Have there been exceptions?  Absolutely.  No one ever questioned Eric
>> Boutilier or Torrey McMahon (  http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/torrey )
>> or
>> Jörg Schilling.  But some measures, as I am sure you will agree, need to
>> be
>> enforced to ensure safety and quality.
>
> Certainly valid exceptions, I am sure ;-)

Well .. there were a few arguments about me being a maintainer.  After all,
am I really doing anything of any value?

>> Clearly we need to look at your case again.
>
> I would be willing to do what I can for verification.
>
> If you would like to continue this discussion, we can take it off this
> list.. Privately or on csw-users (I am subscribed).

I think that you're case needs to be looked at again.

As you know, we strive for better than 99% quality and every package must go
through tests and peer review.  I have to get Eric's latest pine onto my
Sparc 20 here just to test for that "vanishingly small" sun4m user base out
there.  I think this is why Lockheed Martin uses the software.  They are
stuck with some old gear doing really specific tasks.  So .. they use the
sun4m stuff.

We could really use your help on some things.  A valuable community software
guy is really a precious resource and we need to look at this again.

OKay .. everything goes back internal then on this issue.

Dennis