Alan DuBoff wrote:
On Thursday 01 February 2007 03:51 pm, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
How about "Look harder - they've all been in OpenSolaris for a long time"?

Humor me more. Having the software located on the OpenSolaris site doesn't mean that it's a part of the project. When you download the sources for OpenSolaris today, it does not install X, nor does it GNOME, nor does it CUPS, as a case in point.
That's by design. Why mirror all that open source on opensolaris.org? What happens if they don't agree? Upstream code stays upstream and OpenSolaris pulls from it. We do not want to fork, even accidentally.

In fact, if we're lucky we can unpackage the tarball for the Xorg distribution on what is called OpenSolaris today.

Xorg release to OpenSolaris is coming up on the one year mark soon - it
went out at the end of March 2006.   JDS/GNOME beat us by about 6 months.

Neither of which are actually functional in regards to OpenSolaris. Please don't hurt your hand while you're patting yourself on the back.;-)

--
Stephen Harpster
Director, Open Source Software