On 01/11/2007, John Sonnenschein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 1-Nov-07, at 2:31 PM, Shawn Walker wrote:
>
> > On 01/11/2007, Joerg Schilling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:

> >> Ubuntu is more free than Debian as the e.g. provide a package for the
> >> real cdrtools instead of the broken fork.
> >>
> >> Ubuntu != Debian
> >
> > My remarks were more to with Ubuntu derivatives than Debian.
>
> and they're wrong no matter how you slice it.

I'm going to have to agree to disagree.

> if someone based a project off indiana and changed it around a lot,
> then came back and declared their project the one true project
> indiana, people would get pretty pissed off, and rightly so.
>
> now replace "Indiana" with "OpenSolaris" and you see where we are now.

No, not really. Because I haven't seen the community declare it the
one true project yet, so I have no reason to be concerned yet.

I haven't seen any Sun press releases.

All I have seen is a website update and a naming choice some folks
don't agree with.

> Similarly if PI continued to call itself Indiana to the exclusion of
> all other indianas ad infinitum, nobody would have a problem with
> that. It's not the control of the word that's the issue, it's that
> "OpenSolaris" was usurped without any real meaningful consultation
>
> and yes, once again, we all recognize that legally sun can do whatever
> they want with the trademark. We're not talking legalities here, we're
> talking about the rightness in the moral sense of action.

The problem with morals is that the definition of them varies by
person. I see nothing immoral about the action taken today or
yesterday.

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/

"We don't have enough parallel universes to allow all uses of all
junction types--in the absence of quantum computing the combinatorics
are not in our favor..." --Larry Wall