On 1-Nov-07, at 2:31 PM, Shawn Walker wrote:

> On 01/11/2007, Joerg Schilling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>> Menno Lageman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> As far as I know Ubuntu came to life as a Debian derivative. *After*
>>> that, others created their own Ubuntu derivatives such as Xubuntu,
>>> Kubuntu etc. So that is hardly comparable with our case.
>>
>> Ubuntu is more free than Debian as the e.g. provide a package for the
>> real cdrtools instead of the broken fork.
>>
>> Ubuntu != Debian
>
> My remarks were more to with Ubuntu derivatives than Debian.

and they're wrong no matter how you slice it.

if someone based a project off indiana and changed it around a lot,
then came back and declared their project the one true project
indiana, people would get pretty pissed off, and rightly so.

now replace "Indiana" with "OpenSolaris" and you see where we are now.

Similarly if PI continued to call itself Indiana to the exclusion of
all other indianas ad infinitum, nobody would have a problem with
that. It's not the control of the word that's the issue, it's that
"OpenSolaris" was usurped without any real meaningful consultation

and yes, once again, we all recognize that legally sun can do whatever
they want with the trademark. We're not talking legalities here, we're
talking about the rightness in the moral sense of action.