On Nov 30, 2007 9:31 AM, Jim Grisanzio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Shawn Walker wrote:
>
> > Don't you realise that stuff like this only continues to cement the
> > view that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand at Sun is
> > doing?
>

> The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Ok. Guilty. Why
> is that surprising? It's a large organization and many people are trying
> their very best. I can say the *exact* same thing about the OpenSolaris
> community itself. It's no different in that respect. Communication
> issues across very large organizations through many filters is messy at
> best. Do you know what's going on in all corners of the OpenSolaris
> community around the world? Can you message and manage the entire
> OpenSolaris Community?
>
> Forget Sun for a minute, please go out and design and implement a global
> communications strategy for the entire community -- all tens of
> thousands of them, several dozen languages and countries -- and come
> back and we can talk about your experiences.
>
> The excuse of "left hand ... right hand" will not wash with me.

I will not claim to have the solution to Sun's problem, but they
cannot absolve themselves of their failure to communicate properly by
citing the size of the company as the reason.

Regardless of the reasons for Sun's failures in certain areas, those
failures contribute to a negative perception that hinders every
project and community that Sun participates in.

> > I found about this from a blog post Ben Rockwood titled: "Sun
> > continues its crusade to kill itself...."
> >
> > As Ben says, "OpenOffice has been ripped apart, now OpenDS, who knows
> > what else is happening in other open source projects that Sun's
> > involved in." --
> > http://cuddletech.com/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=876#comm
> >
> > My point in posting this was the very real concern that actions like
> > this taken by Sun continue to undermine the community. Sun's actions
> > in *any* projects that they touch affects all projects they are
> > involved with. Whenever people criticise OpenSolaris, they don't just
> > talk about the actions Sun takes in regards to OpenSolaris, they talk
> > about the actions taken in *any* of the projects Sun participates in.
>
> Ok, so here you are offering some commentary and stating a position and
> a reason for posting. I can agree or not but at least I have something
> to go on other than your somewhat over-the-top subject line. But we
> don't know what really happened in that case since we were not involved.
> Why can't we wait before passing judgment? Wouldn't you want the same
> courtesy given you? Haven't you ever been accused of something you
> didn't do?

The subject line was a question, which doesn't yet qualify as passing
judgment (in my view) and is why I provided no commentary with my
post.

I prefer to let others draw their own conclusions as much as possible
(yes, I know I should have used the word "allegedly" in the original
subject) and so don't like providing commentary.

In retrospect, I probably should have provided reasons for posting it
at the very least since it may not have been readily apparent why I
posted this.

> > While I'm all for Sun's direct involvement in certain areas, I fear
> > what some members of management at Sun might do in other areas.
> >
> > I have almost absolute faith in Sun's engineers; not in their management.
>
> Then focus on the engineers. As we build community from the engineering
> level up, that's the only way to influence the managers. And by the way,

It would be easier to focus on the engineering aspects if *some*, *not
all* of Sun's management didn't make it so darn difficult to do so.

> many managers advocate strongly for community and transparency. And many
> execs do, too. I know this for an absolute fact.

Until *all* of Sun's management shares the same vision that people
like Jonathan Schwartz have, Sun is going to continue to hurt
themselves and contribute to the negative perception they have
created.

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/

"We don't have enough parallel universes to allow all uses of all
junction types--in the absence of quantum computing the combinatorics
are not in our favor..." --Larry Wall