UNIX admin wrote:
>> Probably a guy like me. Those were fine little boxes
>> for what the price back then.
>>

> In retrospective, considering the U10 hardware, they were outrageously
> expensive back then.
Really? For workstations in general, and SPARC in particular they seemed
cheap to me. Promotions combined with my Universities discount (no
larger than other large commercial accounts got,) I often got Ultra 5's
for around/under $2000, and Ultra10's for less than $3000 (I doubt those
were creator3D models though.) The higher end PC's we bought at the time
(94-97) were also around $1500-$2000, so It wasn't much more for a
workstation or a SPARC. Especially when compared to the SPARC 2's. 10's,
and 20's I was replacing.

>  But it was a different time, I was young and "high" on the purple Sun logo.
>
> I'm surprised that you'd even consider buying workstation-class hardware
> which isn't meant to go into a rack.  That's just a tremendous waste of
> precious space, something that's not justifiable even for the most modern
> desktop system.

If' it's a workstation, isn't it supposed to go on a desk? Why would I
put something 'workstation class' in a rack? That's what the rack mount
servers are for. Or am I missing something?

  -Kyle