* Kyle McDonald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-02-24 17:35]:

> Back then, you didn't even have to be a big customer, if you were an
> educational institution, you got a decent discount off Hardware.

I recall some universities getting some very sustantial discounts on
6+ figure supercomputers in the 90s.. not sure if it was offered by
Sun or SGI, but there was a string attached: the school had to agree
that the machines would not be used commercially.  Even at the huge
discount, they were still pricey enough to tempt a school to resell
time on them to recover some of the cost.