Ming Kin Lai wrote:
> It is a choice-of-words issue on whether the word "abandoning" should be
> used.  But as hartz said, Sun is clearly diverting its resource to
> OpenSolaris.  As to how bad (as far as Solaris 10 is concerned) the diversion
> is, that's a judgment call.

I don't see a diversion here at all. Instead, I see a pretty significant
expansion.

 From a product and market perspective, Solaris 10 is big and has a well
establish customer base. From a product and market perspective
OpenSolaris is tiny. It's just getting started. It was just released as
a distro a few months ago.

We opened a subset of the Solaris code a few years ago to start building
a developer community, and now with the OpenSolaris distro we can expand
that community even further to include many different types of
developers and users around the world. OpenSolaris is all about
innovation and development and getting to new people with rapid release
cycles. It's quite literally the foundation of Solaris, which is more
about long release intervals, long term support, enterprise stability,
etc. So, we're not diverting. We're opening and growing.

Jim
--
http://blogs.sun.com/jimgris/