On 11/08/2009, at 10:51 PM, Ian Collins wrote:

Glynn Foster wrote:

On 11/08/2009, at 7:13 PM, Anon Y Mous wrote:

Live Upgrade is also probably much better for mission critical servers than "pkg image-update" is in Indiana, because if your root file system gets corrupted and you have live upgrade set up properly, then there is a chance that you can still boot up into the alternate slice and still keep your sysadmin job!!!! If you're an OpenSolaris Indiana sysadmin and you happen to lose your "rpool" root zpool like some of these poor guys did (see links below):

 http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=108722&tstart=45

 https://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=108213&tstart=30

 https://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=90432

then you are S.O.L. and you will get fired and all your Sun kit will probably get junked and replaced with IBM servers running Red Hat Enterprise Linux backed up by Netapp filers. Pkg image-update is nice and all, but if I had to bet my job, my career, my livelihood and the future of the Solaris OS on a mission critical server that absolutely CAN NOT FAIL, I would bet it on Live Upgrade.

If you really cared about corruptions on disk, you'd be using some sort of ZFS mirroring/RAID-Z.

I don't think he (?) was referring to data corruption at that level, more a case of an upgrade or patch breaking a working system. With Solaris, I always create and apply patches to a new BE, leaving my current BE unchanged and available as a fall-back. Can I do the same with OpenSolaris?

Yes - using beadm(1) you can manually clone your filesystem and apply updates to it using pkg -R and switch over at boot time. All pkg 'image-update's (or Update All in the Package Manager) are applied to a different BE by default

Glynn

beadm(1) man page: http://dlc.sun.com/osol/docs/content/IPS/ggfxy.html