Glynn Foster wrote:

On 11/08/2009, at 10:51 PM, Ian Collins wrote:
I don't think he (?) was referring to data corruption at that level, more a case of an upgrade or patch breaking a working system. With Solaris, I always create and apply patches to a new BE, leaving my current BE unchanged and available as a fall-back. Can I do the same with OpenSolaris?

Yes - using beadm(1) you can manually clone your filesystem and apply updates to it using pkg -R and switch over at boot time. All pkg 'image-update's (or Update All in the Package Manager) are applied to a different BE by default

Glynn

beadm(1) man page: http://dlc.sun.com/osol/docs/content/IPS/ggfxy.html

OK thanks Glynn.  I think I'll take the plunge on a couple of desktops...

--
Ian.