On 11/08/2009, at 7:13 PM, Anon Y Mous wrote:

Please, you can't discontinue SXCE because OpenSolaris Indiana 2009.06 isn't ready yet as a "headless" minimal server OS that I can install and manage entirely through a DB9 to RJ45 CISCO console cable (think about the "Netra T1" and all of the other servers Sun makes that don't have graphics cards in them).

I know this for a fact because I have been using every major Indiana release from 2008.05 snv_86 to 2009.06 snv_111 as my desktop OS on a daily basis (I will also have Indiana running full time on the Toshiba Tecra laptop after tomorrow as well) and IMO Indiana is missing many of the essential features that sysadmins need for servers like flash archive / flarcreate for backing up and restoring servers, the ability to assign a static IP address to the server during the installation process (and not be forced to use NWAM / DHCP), and the ability to have a tty console cable text installer do a minimal server installation (with only SSH running in the global zone after the install).

You should have a look at -

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/caiman/TextInstallerProject/

It will solve many of the issues you're seeing with installation. I know the Caiman folks are also working on replication and recovery project to help fill the FLAR gap - unfortunately I can't easily find details of that project, but hopefully one of the team will pitch in.

Live Upgrade is also probably much better for mission critical servers than "pkg image-update" is in Indiana, because if your root file system gets corrupted and you have live upgrade set up properly, then there is a chance that you can still boot up into the alternate slice and still keep your sysadmin job!!!! If you're an OpenSolaris Indiana sysadmin and you happen to lose your "rpool" root zpool like some of these poor guys did (see links below):

  http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=108722&tstart=45

  https://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=108213&tstart=30

  https://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=90432

then you are S.O.L. and you will get fired and all your Sun kit will probably get junked and replaced with IBM servers running Red Hat Enterprise Linux backed up by Netapp filers. Pkg image-update is nice and all, but if I had to bet my job, my career, my livelihood and the future of the Solaris OS on a mission critical server that absolutely CAN NOT FAIL, I would bet it on Live Upgrade.

If you really cared about corruptions on disk, you'd be using some sort of ZFS mirroring/RAID-Z.

To use OpenSolaris Indiana as a minimal server OS that can be managed from a a DB9 to RJ45 CISCO console cable, I would have to do what Milax or Nexenta does and build my own minimal OpenSolaris server distro from scratch from the source code, and this is too much work and too much liability for the average sysadmin to do. Plus doing this gives me a configuration that is not supported by Sun, so Sun makes no money from me using OpenSolaris because I can't buy "server support" for it from Sun and my boss and co-workers are angry because we're taking on the burden of building our own unsupported operating system from scratch.

I'd be curious as to what you'd expect "server support" to be - are you talking about the length of subscription, price, or content?

The end result of this situation of killing off SXCE would be all Solaris Express-using server customers giving up the Solaris OS and changing to another OS and buying support from Canonical or Red Hat or some other vendor that supports minimal server configurations that don't have X windows installed on them, which would be the end of Solaris, which would be very sad because Solaris has a lot of good features that don't exist in other operating systems.

That's a weak trail of thought at best. I appreciate there are missing features that we know our enterprise customers are likely to want and need, and we're not quite there yet. However, they can continue to use Solaris 10 as a fully supported enterprise option as a backstop. The gaps will be closed real soon. The interactive text install will have a different default package profile to be installed by default, and won't include a graphical desktop environment on current thinking.

You can't expect to make any revenue for Sun having your main product be something like Indiana that only works well on desktops and not on headless servers. OpenSolaris Indiana 2009.06 is not going to get a majority desktop share over Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X any time soon, so by killing of SXCE (the only "server friendly" version of the OS that has the cool features like crossbow and sparse root zones in it), you're killing of Solaris :-(

I think you're mistaken about where things are going over the next 6 months or so. I'd expect 2010.02 to move pretty heavily towards providing functionality for server environments - on disk IPS support, replication and recovery, hardened Automated Install, Solaris 10 branded zones, etc. OpenSolaris OS is 'server friendly' right now - you just have to do a little additional work to get there, and some of the barriers to entry are a little higher than we would have liked.

Wouldn't it just be easier to keep SXCE going for another year and pick a few random "stable" builds that we can buy support for like we could with SXDE? I miss SXDE. SXDE was awesome :-(

Help all of us in the OpenSolaris community to help Sun by giving us a stable SXCE / SXDE build that we can buy support for. This will generate revenue for Sun and the revenue can get re-invested back into the OpenSolaris project R&D to make Indiana an even better OS.

By continuing to support SXCE/SXDE, you end up distracting from the overall work we need to do to OpenSolaris. We currently support OpenSolaris OS - you can buy a subscription whether you are running it on a workstation or headless server - and for many, this is more than enough (especially so given the package content is so similar between the two trains).

Glynn