At 10:15 24.11.00 , you wrote:

>>However I can sympatize with Karl and Magnus. EJB is a very new
>>technology. Shipping the source makes it relatively easy for the
>>competition to copy the product which of course is the downside. But I
>>think shippingg the source would be for the better of the server. Nobody
>>is perfect and if all of us have our hands on the source lots of those
>>silly bugs should be fixed in much less time. Having to submit a
>>testcase makes for a lot of effort on both sides since we have to create
>>a testcase which has to be recreated by the orion team and tested. Most
>>of these bug however would simply appear running your app through a
>>debugger and jumping into the orion source.
>
>I've run into so many weird and absurd problems in Orion; all it would've
>taken for me to solve the problem and submit a patch would be a grep in
>the source tree. Alas, I cannot do this and I am stuck with an application
>server that has many advantages and many disadvantages, which more or less
>cancel each other out. Many bugs I post as problems to the mailing list,
>many times without response, forcing me to submit some of them to
>bugzilla, where they go unnoticed.
>

>Evermind's position, as stated on the FAQ, is that they would be SUED by
>Sun if they made their source code public.

Well, I wonder what projects like Jonas, EJBoss and JBoss do? I know that
there are legal issues with sun but so far I have yet to hear a statement
from evermind saying "yeah we would really like to ship with source and
talked to sun but they wouldn't let us". I personally would love to trade
offical J2EE branding (if that's the legal problem) with being able to do
something about really awkward situations caused by unexpected bugs. I
think they have made up their mind not to give source away and that's a
decision I as a customer must respect but it has the potential to make me
abandon a (generally great) server. I don't think legal issues have really
been considered seriously (might be wrong though). main problem is that
they (evermind) don't want it. nobody forces them to obfuscate their code
(or is there such a statement in sun's J2EE license?).

I feel like fighting windmills but it's just such a tempting thought and a
frustrating situation.

robert

>What?! What is the rationale behind this conclusion???

(-) Robert Krüger
(-) SIGNAL 7 Gesellschaft für Informationstechnologie mbH
(-) Brüder-Knauß-Str. 79 - 64285 Darmstadt,
(-) Tel: 06151 665401, Fax: 06151 665373
(-) [EMAIL PROTECTED], www.signal7.de