At 05:36 PM 11/24/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>You know..while I would love to see source for the sole purpose of allowing
>us to help the Orion team debug and fix problems (not to allow a fork of the
>product), I think everyone needs to think about other products. Do you think
>WebLogic, Inprise, Oracle, IBM and others are going to release their source
>so the committed followers can help them fix bugs. That would be ideal..but
>none of them do it. Thus far I don't know of any full J2EE ready app servers
>that have released their source. I have heard of JBoss..but I don't know
>much about it.

As far as I know, the "Orion Team" consists of very few people (I believe
it's two), not 20 or 50 or 100 or more. Although Orion is cheap, if
something goes wrong, I'm not certain I can expect rapid response. It's
also a tough sell to the "business side".

There is a community of people using the product. All are technically
adept. If each person only fixed one bug in the life of the Orion
server,  it would be far superior than what it is now. Make people print
out an NDA, sign it, and fax it back. Make them understand that the code is
proprietary. But by allowing people using the product to see the source, it
becomes that much better a product.

For $1500, I'm actually not "glad" that it is cheap, I'm worried that it'll
be $1500 wasted when the crunch comes and Orion cannot deliver, and I have
to pay for an alternative solution.