Robert P. VanNatta writes:

> The macros both FA and A have the longest throw--- just short of a full
> turn.   I have a 50mm F and a 100 mm A.   Both to me focus correctly in manual.

 Same here.  I believe that I can focus my old K135/2.5 accurately with more
ease than the FA100/2.8 macro, though.  I can still do it, but it just takes a
little more care :)

 I am wondering if the short throw of the macro lens (when used in "AF limit"
mode) makes the AF system faster compared to a non-macro (eg
FA135/2.8).  Is there someone who owns both these lenses who can give a
comparison?

> Of the 50mm  F1.4 --- the throw is about the same but there is a different
> resistence --- thick grease in the manual that makes it easier to control.

 Nothing beats the "feel" of an old manual focus lens.  It's not only the light
damping effect of the grease but also the nice indented rubber focussing ring.
 Plus they look a lot nicer than their AF counterparts, even on the Z-1p.

> I have a 15mm SMC-A  -- it has a very short 'throw' --- only about 1 inch
> and it seems pleasant to focus manually--- Of course it is almost impossible to
> get anything out of focus. :-)   (at f16 everything from 12" to infinitity is in
> focus)

 I actually find this lens very hard to focus finely in some situations.  The
reason is that any single object tends to be too small to make sense in the
microprism focussing screen of my K2.  It doesn't matter too much to me as
99% of its use is beyond two metres!

> As for a 400 mm  internal focusing AF Sigma -- the throw is about 90 degrees and
> this seems OK for manual focusing.

 My Tokina 400mm has about the same and at first I was a little annoyed
because it took me too long to focus accurately (shooting wildlife at f/5.6
demands both speed and accuracy).  Now with trap focus, I just don't care :)

Cheers,

- Dave

David A. Mann, B.E.
email [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/

"Why is it that if an adult behaves like a child they lock him up,
 while children are allowed to run free on the streets?" -- Garfield
go to http://www.pdml.net and follow the directions. Visit the PUG at
http://pug.komkon.org.