Hi,

Lasse Karlsson wrote:

> Whale Watcher Superior Fred wrote:
>> In a message dated 1/15/2001 4:19:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>>
>> > I found myself in the minority school
>> > who prefer a short turn of the helicoid
>>
>> I also, like Bob, prefer a "short throw" from infinity to near focus, since I
>> want to be able to focus as quickly as possible.

> Well, since a couple of years back there is this new invention called "auto focus"
>(AF), which is supposed to help you do just that... :-)

really? How  extraordinary! What will they think of next?

My admittedly limited experience of this trick of Satan is that the
cameras that use it are over-complicated in various other ways, and
that along with the ease of AF come some additional difficulties,
particularly in the selection of the focus area. I often use off-centre
focusing on the ground glass, and have an infinite number of points to
choose from. AF cameras seem to offer a strictly limited number of focus
points, and the method of choosing the focus point seems slower and
more difficult than turning a focus ring. However, perhaps I'm just an
old dog.

Cheers,

Bob

--