----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Chan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The *ist camera

> I doubt that very much. Implementing IS/VR inside the body is not a very
> practical solution imho.

There's more IMHO...
There is NO, and I mean NO, sign of implementing image stabilisation or/and
USM motors from Pentax in any reasonably near future. Such implementation
exists only in the virtual reality of our list, it's nothing but our wishful
thinking. Yet the signs of abandoning the compatibility are VERY strong. So
far the only bodies which didn't support the compatibility were MZ60/50/30 -
the very simple bodies, with no bells and whistles. One may call the *ist
"crappy" and "cheap" but can't deny, that it's more advanced than the
MZ-10/7/6, even the MZ-5n/3 (I disregard the Z-series bodies now). That is
unusual and I don't agree with anybody claiming that one shouldn't expect
the beginner camera to support the compatibility - *ist is NOT the usual
Pentax entry level one.
And now the crippled mount goes much higher - into the *ist D. This fact
makes me depressed. I've already informed a few of my friends that Pentax is
about to release the only DSLR that accepts good old and inexpensive K-mount
lenses. As other *ist D parameters aren't that impressive (no full frame
sensor, 6,1 Mp which is OK but no more, USB 1.1 only) this was the thing
that particularly impressed them. Without such compatibility the *ist D will
have difficulties to beat the Sigma SD7 for example...
The evidences of the end of traditional Pentax era are clear. They have
obviously started walking the Nikon-like path. But i fear that they are
abandoning their old strengths without having the new ones.
The next camera will be the answer...
It seems, however, that the MZ-S is the last real Pentax camera:(
Regards
Artur