Cotty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I raced an off-road racer in the 1990s - you wanna see a money pit?
>Campaign one of those for a couple of years! Buying DSLRs is peanuts.
>With the money spent over 5 years of building and racing, I could have
>bought half a dozen 1Ds's. Hey, photography is CHEAP.

Boy, you got that right! I used to road race motorcycles (which is a
less expensive hobby than racing cars) and could easily go through a few
hundred dollars in expenses per race weekend. That's money burned with
nothing to show for it. And that doesn't even include buying the
hardware to get started. And the ever-present possibility that a moment
of poor judgement could turn your multi-thousand dollar race bike into
an abstract sculpture in a split second. (Of course, that same moment of
poor judgement could also get you killed in the same split second, in
which case...who cares what it costs?!)

There are an amazing number of pure hobbyists who've bought the Canon
1Ds. Photography - even cutting edge digital photography - is cheap
compared to some hobbies.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing