My comments here; context reproduced below.
On my Optio 550, I use the viewfinder most of the time. But it's not good for
framing macro stuff (major parallax error) plus there's a certain minimum
distance past which the eye can focus on the subject through the viewfinder
anyway (in other words, get too close and can't see comfortably through the
viewfinder.) Also, the viewfinder doesn't provide shooting data, so if you want
to see your settings while composing the shot, it would be necessary to use the
LCD screen.
I don't find the LCD screen very convenient most of the time anyway, because I
don't wear bifocals but am probably, at most, two eye exams away from going
into them!
Optio 550 has a nice little viewfinder all the same, except that the diopter
adjustment slider gets accidentally shifted waaay too easily.