Kevin Waterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>This one time, at band camp, "Herb Chong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> highly unlikely for a long time to come. if they can make a full frame
>> sensor camera at an affordable price, they will be able to make an APS frame
>> sensor at a much cheaper price. if the sensor also delivers as low noise as
>> current APS sensors at about 8-10 megapixels, it will completely replace
>> 35mm film. the point of going larger than APS is to replace medium format.
>
>> > If Pentax are to release a 24x36mm CCD some time in the future,
>> > the lense issue will cease to be. I dont see the point in buying
>> > a bunch of new lenses to suit what will be obsolete very soon.
>
>I guess the APS size will provide a cheap alternative, and if it can
>do the job of current 35mm, all the better.
>
>The Medium Format digital backs, such as this offering by Fuji
>http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/Products.jsp?nav=1&parent=PRODUCT_CATEGORY_476108&product=43026002
>are still a long way off. So I guess there is plenty of time to sell
>lenses specifically for the APS size sensor.

Heck, that's only a 24 x 36 mm sensor! That ain't nuthin' compared to
this 37 x 52 mm beauty:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0312/03121901fujifilmback.asp

OK, so it's not available in the U.S. (yet) and it's a lot of money.
There's an inexorable trend for sensors to increase in size and decrease
in price.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing