Steve Jolly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Mark Roberts wrote:
>> There's an inexorable trend for sensors to increase in size and decrease
>> in price.
>
>A 24x36mm chunk of silicon wafer will always be a 24x36mm chunk of
>silicon wafer, and there's no real reason that I can see to expect the
>price of silicon to plummet.  Yields will probably go up slightly, but
>CCDs aren't pushing the limits of feature size in the way that CPUs are,
>so I wouldn't expect that to have much of a price impact.
>
>The general reason why digital devices keep plummeting in price is
>because advancing technology allows them to be made smaller, and smaller
>is cheaper.  Fix the size of the device and you lose that advantage.
>You can still get "economies of scale" of course - up to a point, the
>cost of your product decreases if you can sell it to more people.

Cost reduction will come from three factors (in increasing order of
significance):

Improvement in yield
Economies of scale
New, less expensive, manufacturing processes

Canon has been hammering away on #3 and their success has helped achieve
#2. Everyone else is lagging behind for now. Just wait until others
begin to catch up. We ain't seen nuthin' yet.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing