Look, I'm a very big proponent of both backwards compatibility (in all
things, not just cameras) and perhaps an even greater proponent of manual
gear than most other people on this list.  When the istD came out it was
almost impossible to use the K and M lenses on the camera, although,
surprisingly, the old screw mounts worked perfectly as I understand it -
perhaps even better than on the original Spotties since shutter speed
didn't have to be adjusted.  I was a little disappointed, but the
workaround - if you choose to call it that - essentially solved the
compatibility problem of the K and M lenses, certainly well enough for just
about everyone on the list who bought an istD.  Paul's recent action shots
seem lend credence to the ability of the K and M lens to do work quite well
in the istd.  OTOH, you seem to be the biggest complainer, yet you don't
have a Pentax DSLR, have never used the workaround to see how easy or
difficult it may be to use.  To some that may seem a little odd.

In reality, complete backwards compatibility has to be given up at some
point in order to move forward.  I don't like it, I'm not sure that's true
in EVERY case - and since I'm no techie-digi-equipment-gearhead I can't
speak to how difficult or easy it would be to have made the istD 100%
compatible with every lens ever produced by Pentax - but that's the way it
is. Parts from my newer Mercedes don't fit on my 1972 model, and there's
not a damned thing on my beat up 1984 Toyota that will fit and work on a
newer one.

For all we know Pentax may have some  future plans for that body, or for
future lenses to be used on that and other bodies, that made it difficult
or impractical to use that cam that you speak of.  We don't know.  But what
we do have is a fix for the original problem that seems to satisfy all but
the most critical (non)user of the istD.  And when you add all this to the
fact that every lens pentax ever made for 35mm cameras, plus other formats,
plus lenses from other manufacturers, will now work on the istD, there's
nothing to complain about, IMO.

Shel