Let's not forget the K2 and K2DMD models.  These had AE with the K/M lenses.
I recall some of the make-shift methods new owners of the *ist D tried,
early on, that would allow full use of the K/M lenses.  I believe one method
had the potential of having the lens fall off the camera if it was handled
in a certain way.  Not too good wouldn't you say?

Jim A.