Long ago I learned never to judge people by their appearance or how they
present themselves.  I had a small ranch for sale in Northern California in
1974, and received an inquiry written on a torn off piece of grocery bag.
I dismissed the matter.  A few weeks later I received a phone call from the
person saying that she was going to be in Northern California in a few days
and wanted me to meet her at the property.  Begrudgingly I agreed, and made
the long drive to the area near the Oregon Border.  I met the woman and her
two crying kids, and a friend of hers who went along for the ride.  She
looked the place over, said she liked it, went out to her truck and came
back with a paper sack stuffed with $75,000 in cash and a .357 magnum.  I
was stunned.

Turns out her husband was working in the North Sea as an oil explorer, and
she was chosen to buy the property.  I asked her why she brought cash and
she said she didn't want me to think she was just effing around.  We did up
some paperwork and she gave me the cash and the gun.  When she gave me the
gun she said "You'll need this now ..."

I had to spend three days guarding the cash until the title company opened
after the weekend.

In 1968 a few of us were bopping down Van Ness Avenue in San Francisco, and
were along Auto Row.  One of the group, "a raggedy looking hippy chick,"
spied a car that caught her eye, walked into the showroom, and said she
wanted to buy it.  The salesman treated her like trash ... his mistake.
The raggedy looking woman was Grace Slick, the lead singer for the very
popular (and quite successful) Jefferson Airplane.

Shel